Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 New Waterfowl Hunter questions... >

New Waterfowl Hunter questions...

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New Waterfowl Hunter questions...

Old 11-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Waterfowl Hunter questions...

I am new to waterfowl hunting, Scoring on my 7th whitetail of this season with my bow I am looking to hunt, just something different.
My questions are
1) is there a place on the net that I can get ahold of some type of guide to show the different types of ducks, with pics for the Atlantic flyway?

2)I have purchased a few calls, and am learning to use them, but how do you get the "feeding" mallard sounds?
Old 11-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Waterfowl Hunter questions...

Check the Ducks Unlimited site they have some good information on species. To make a feeding chuckel, blow in to the call saying "ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka". My dad used to say "chuga chuga chuga chuga" back when he hunted.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:12 PM

Old 11-28-2004, 07:17 PM

Not sure if that is any help. Probably not.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies.
I was looking more for the species of ducks that use that flyway, a field guide if you will. Some thing that I could print, laminate and carry into the field. Some ducks here in Va are shotters right now and some are not. Just need to know how to indentify them while I am out there.

Ticka, ticka, ticka? I'll try that. This is gonna take some real practice I see.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 AM

I don't know about downloadable info but I can highly recommend two books that I got from amazon.com. The LeMaster Method Waterfowl Identification and the National Audubon Society pocket guide. The LeMaster is the best guide for ID purposes with details on wing patterns, bill sizes, feet colorations, flight levels. Used by a lot of your game wardens. IMO the best dispute settler over ID. The NAS pocket guide tells more of flyways and habitat. Both books together have helped me tremendously. The LeMaster is 4 1/2" x 7", water resistant pages and spiral bound. The NAS is even a little smaller. Perfect size for a game bag. I have two of the LeMasters. One that is always in my bag and another at home.

The LeMaster has a bill identification section where you lay the bill of your duck on the page for a match. Hard to believe how accurate and easy this is until you have tried it.

As far as your calling practice, buy a couple of different brand instructional tapes and listen to them in the truck and practice. Can't be any more dangerous than a cell phone.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

I'll second the LeMaster Book. It's small and will fit into your bag or large pocket.