Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

trophy rock, peanut butter

Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default trophy rock, peanut butter

i have a trophy rock and i cant tell if the deer are eating it. Theres to many leaves on the ground to see foot prints and i dont have enough money tobuy a trail camera. is there any other way to tell.

I heard that deer willeat peanut butter is that true?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: trophy rock, peanut butter

This really isn't the time of year for a trophy rock. All crops and greens out there.They will still hit it occasionally if they are used to it being there. I put mine out in Feb or March. Thats the time they will really take advantage of it. No idea about peanut butter.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Deer will generally cut grooves in our Rocks with their tongues. Look to see if there are any channels in yours. This will be a good indication as to whether they are hitting them.

Never tried peanut butter, but a good friend of mine swears by it. He will go but the cheap off brand, take the lid off and screw it into a tree, screw the jar back onto the lid, and then cut the bottom off the jar for access. He just went out last week and put out several jars at some of his camera sites. I'll be interested in seeing some of the pictures.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:14 PM

So why not just clear the leaves in about a 3ft x 3ft spot. and put the rock salt thingin middle. Then there should be tracks in the dirt if there hitting it.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:30 PM

ya this isnt the best time to get the best use out of them you need to keep one out there for a year consitently keeping one out there and rember they have to find it first.....i sure dont know bout the peanut butter but you might just throw a little corn out there if its gone the next day you know there around...

Ozark