Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how to stay warm?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Default RE: how to stay warm?

A couple of years ago I was doing some late season BP hunting and the temp. was getting to30 below while I was out.I couldn'tget enough layers or warmers in the boots orgloves to keep me going very long on the stand. I read a tip on here that waslike shaggys, except instead of the middle of your shoulder blades, tape one heat pack over your tee shirt overeach kidney area on your back. I couldn't believe the diff. it made.My toes didn't even get cold, and that never happens.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Layers, and a neck gaiter. Also put a large hand warmer on the back of your neck, way better place to warm your whole body than anywhere else.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM

My insulated coveralls have shoulder straps sewn into the inside of them. So I can pull the coveralls up to my waist, put the straps over my shouders and the walk to the stand. I do this so I do not overheat and once I get into my stand, it is easier and quietier to just pull on the top half of the coveralls than put on the whole thing in my stand.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Layer layer layer!!

Here is what I do for Cold weather...and I can gaurantee you I hunt in colder weather than you!

I put on an under layer...I don't have under Armour, but may move to that in time, but right now I have Misty Moutain Polar fleece, it wicks away moisture well, and keeps me warm.

for Feet Put on good Wool socks, and decent boots with at least 1000-1200 grams thinsulate (warmer Still if you get below freezing)

depending on how cold, I will layer jeans or Jogging pants, and then my Hunting pants.

For Up top, I put a long sleeve T-shirt, then a layer of a wool sweater, and then a fleece pullover (fleece is great at keeping you warm) and then my hunting jacket. If you need more, put on something over top.

Your head is number one at keeping in warmth, so wear a toque, and good Mitts. (Mitts are better at warming than gloves, so on the real cold days go with Mitts)

If this isn't enough, you can consider heat packs. I also will bring along a thermos of Coffee to sip on, helps keep you warm on the coldest of days. Its important to layer light if you have any walking to do, and put your final layers on, when you get to your stand. Any sweating will turn to ice, and get you off stand very quickly.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shaggy1224

last year was quite cold here in central wis. me and my father were taping the large hand/body warmers to each others back. on top of our first layer, right between the shoulder blades. when u start feeling cold lean back into a tree pressing the warmer tighter against your back. i know it sounds stupid and doesn't solve all the problems like cold feet and hands. but damn it feels good.

Try around your kidney area too shaggy, that will help too.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

i have tried that i think it does help. but i was using the toe warmers with the adhesive strip on them. they wouldn't stay in place for very long. ended up sliding down to the top of my a$$!!! which is already insulated enough. duct tape and2 large body warmers on the kidney area might do the trick.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

great post, Im taking notes as well
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

good clothes, good boots. I use the knock-off under armour from wally-world. I draws sweat off your skin and will help keep you warmer.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get yourself some instant heat packs. Maybe one jumbo size one and two regulars for the each day. Probobly cost you $2. Use a couple strips of duct tape and stick the jumbo on your chest on the first shirt and the two regulars on your inner thighs half way down on your inner layer.

The jumbo will warm your blood for circulation and the two on your thighs will help warm the blood circulating down there for your feet and legs.

Most of the heat packs are good for atleast 8 hours.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

You should try northern Wisc if you think GA is cold....

You can buy those unscented heat wraps. The ones they sell for lower back pain. Strap it on and it will keep your core warm. I plan to do that this year. Read this in readers tips in F&S mag.

Quick Reply: how to stay warm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.