Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Meat

Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Meat

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

In PA the deer taken below I-80 taste better. More agri foods than in the big woods. I can tell the diference intastes between my PA and OH deer. Ohio deer better tasting hands down. I think it is the corn and soy bean that does that. My wife could never get over how you had to watch cooking deer meat. Lees fat quicker on the burn. Oh and some trivia, in Japan fish is becoming hard ad to get and expensive. They are using venison as a substitue w/ some success. I mean tatse tuna sushi and then taste venison, it ain't that bad! Andrew Zimmern, that guy would eat 10 day old road kill if you served it on a cracker and tell him it's good!

I dont know about that. NW PA is mostly woods and fields. Ain't anything better then corn fed!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

No hormones, free range, organic, lean, and cheap. What more could you want? Too often people say it tastes gamey. Doesnt chocolate taste chocolatey? Proper processing makes for better meat. I don't like anyone messing with mine except me. One thing I like to do is soak it in a kosher salt solution before cooking. That helps pull the blood out, which gets rid of some of the iron (blood) taste that people refer to a gamey...
I would agree with everything you said, except for CHEAP. The amount of time and money I invest on a yearly basis (Hunting Lease, Insurance, foodplotting, land improvements and up-keep, gas to lease, minerals and supplemental feeding, feeder and game camera batteries, etc.) makes it very expensive. Some years I don't even actually harvest a deer.

Would I change any of it? HECK NO!!!

Great idea about soaking the meat in a salt/water solution. This is the way my wife prepares everything except the veniburgers. It really does help with drawing the blood out. Less blood = less gamey.

Eat all the deer meat you can. It is healthy and as someone esle stated Doctor Recommended. Venison is the only red meat my dad eats, with exception to the occassional ribeye, due to health issues with his heart. Doctor said it was the best red meat due to it being so lean. Not having all of the artificial stuff in it has to be a lot better for you as well.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

It's very good for you. Unlike beef, it's very lean,and it taste good.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 PM

od
ORIGINAL: The Deer Destroyer

It's very good for you. Unlike beef, it's very lean,and it taste good.
Certain cuts of beef can be very lean too.

Yes Venison is very lean, and has less Cholesterol. It is quite healthy for you, but then it depends on cooking methods, if you fry your Venison in 3 tbps of butter, it kind of defeats the purpose. When in a pan, I use only olive oil.

Taste of Venison certainly changes with the feed they are eating, and also if they are rutting or not. I have taken quite a few mountain/swamp bucks whose main feed is acorns/leaves and cedar. They taste much gamier than the deer I have taken in the past 2 years, who have more agriculture in their diets.

Someone mentioned that less blood means less Gamey taste, I do not find that to be the case. most of the gamey taste comes from the Fat, or bones. Remove as much fat before cooking, and if you can debone your meat. I don't marinate any of my venison, and just doing this, I find there is very little gamey taste. Also don't over cook it, it will be rubbery and chewy. You want it to be medium, or medium rare. anything else and you have ruined your steak (at least in my eyes)