Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter's Secrets

Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hunter's Secrets

I know everyone has the one thing they do that they believe makesthe biggestdifference for big buck success. I thought we could share ideas.

What seems to work for me is to find the trials leading to the feeding areas and back off about 100 yards, this seems to be the area where the bigger bucks stay. I stay out of the area all year and only enter when I am going in to hunt during rut. I use Code Blue, sit back and wait. I normally stay in the blind all day during this time and have taken most of my bigger bucks around mid-day.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunter's Secrets

I wish I knew the secrets, but somehow all the deer are avoiding me
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a logging trail about 150 yards in the woods off one of our crop fields...This trail is where 2 bedding areas corner...

A few days before I want to hunt, I take 3-4 35mm film canisters and hang them down the trail and put about a half teaspoon of Tink's 69 in them...
There are usually 2-3 scrapes on this trail as well, I freshen them up with the Tink's and back out...When I walk in, I drag a rag soaked in Tink's down the trail...

There is a pine tree, centered at the end of the trail that backs up to one of the bedding areas...I've seen as many as 6 bucks crusing through looking for does...
Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

I don't ever call to a deer that is coming to me. If he's comin shut up and let him come in on his own. It make take an hour or better but it will be worth it. I had a nice deer come into my rattling last year. He came thundering through the trees to about 50 yards. He didn't see any deer and he stood in one place motionless for 25 minutes just looking over the scene. I thought about calling but didn't. He eventually came across the field and I decided to let him pass. If they're comin they come in on their own if you don't fowl it up.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1 secret - Hunt where there are big bucks.

#2 secret - If there aren't any big bucks where you hunt, pass on the smaller bucks so they have a chance to become big bucks.