Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heard a buck Growl!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heard a buck Growl!!!

Without a any visual evidence how can we just assume this was a buck "growling" is my point. Maybe it was, maybe it wasnt. But the bottom line is their is no proof. Could have been a bear, because whether you think so or not, you have bear where you live. And if you havent seen any perhaps you should follow your own advice and "get in the woods more."
Old 10-20-2008, 05:31 PM

Ever seen Deliverance?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

The buck growl is a good call. The bucks go crazy if you use it at the right time.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

We will just have to agree to disagree on your point.

The growl, as I have heard it described, is a aggressive/highly agitatedsound produced by bucks. To say that a paralyzing shot could not cause a buck to make a sound, one that I know and equated to the "growl" or "roar", is unfounded. Not to try to convince you, but the buck was lured in with a Pee Willie Wick scent dispenser full of Ms. Does Pee at the end of January in Alabama. Spelled out in simple terms...FULL RUT!

Sorry if this comes across harsh, but seems to be alot of "name calling" on this site from time-to-time. No need in refuting what a person believes, believes they hear/saw, etc. by coming across as implying they are lying. What is the point in that?
You obviously didn't get what I was saying. I'm not saying that you are lying. I don't care what time of year it was, did the buck growl before or after you shot it? If it was before, then you heard the "growl" in its meaning of an agitating buck in rut. If you heard it after you shot it, you heard the buck moan in pain. Both sound the same, but believe me they are made for VERY different reasons. Shoot a doe in the spine and she'll make a "growl" as well.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Without a any visual evidence how can we just assume this was a buck "growling" is my point. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But the bottom line is their is no proof. Could have been a bear, because whether you think so or not, you have bear where you live. And if you haven't seen any perhaps you should follow your own advice and "get in the woods more."
I'm good bud, i put a ton of hours in the woods every hunting season, and there are no bear at this property, i hunt it, i know it, and the counties and so forth around it, K thanks.
Once again sorry you haven't had the pleasure of hearing this sound.By the way i do hunt bear in the Adirondacks so i am kind of familiar with them too.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're to funny.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Maybe so, just never had one do it before and I have spine-shot several deer (bucks and does alike). Sorry, again, if it was taken harsh.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

When i saw the title of this thread i knew it was going to be entertaining. I was fortunate enough to hear the buck growl 2 years ago during the 2nd week of November. Later killing the buck i think was growling. Luckily i had a friend hunting w meor my buddies would have been more skeptical.

This weekend Oct 18-19th, a different friend of mine hear the buck growl, describing it just as i did "like a lion roaring." He watched the 10 pt who growled chase does for an hour around his stand (never offereing a shot). Him and my other friend who were hunting on the same 100 acre farm as me watched bucks grunting and chasing does all evening on Saturday. I only saw a few bucks and does feeding as normal. Yes its early, but all it takes one hot doe as a previouser poster said.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mbruizer187

Thanks Rybo, yeah they are quick to call someone a liar, or tell them they have no clue what they are talking about lol, no biggy i know what i heard.
I never called you a liar...just questioning the timing, never heard of a deer making the growl so early, always been told it's the most aggressive deer vocalization and usually only used during the PEAK of the rut...which this is not. There is a big difference between a few days ago and Halloween as far as rutting activity goesRybo, guess I've been in the woods long enough to figure that out.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey that is cool!
I've heard it a couple times before, but in Nov. I certainly don't doubt you heard it....one thing I've come to understand about deer hunting - ALWAYS expect the unexpected. If I told you my buddy shot a doe with a muzzleloader in the heart...and she ran 400yds and was still alive 10 minutes later when we jumped her, you wouldn't believe it either. But I was there and saw it - and when he gutted her, I stuck my pinky through the hole in the heart. Incredible, yes....typical, no way. That is the great thing about what we do, its different every time out!

Quick Reply: Heard a buck Growl!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.