Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heard a buck Growl!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Heard a buck Growl!!!

lol...thats how I read it too....
Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Heard we have Chupakabra here in NY to maybe thats what it was, come on. I have been hunting for long enough to know what is around the properties i hunt, there are bear in NY but they dont cover the whole state, only certain (big)parts. If you never heard the noise before, and only think you know anything about it from the people selling the products for it, then dont say when it should be heard. Bucks shouldnt be grunting or chasing does now either? Cause the small ones are
Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched a young 4 point chase a big mature doe this weekend too. The young bucks always start harassing the does first. The big boys just sit back and relax until the time comes. They wont waste their energy chasing a doe for no reason.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 AM
Spike

What does the Growl actually sound like. I think I may have heard it the other day, but am not sure. What I heard was somewhere between a growl and a Mooooo... There are no cows by me, so I'm thinking it was a growl? Does that sound about right as far as noise goes?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im going to lean towards it being too early for a buck growl, this vocalization is usually made during the peak of the rut. I dont even use my growl untill November when the deer start chasing and get more agressive.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

coo li heard a bleat yesterday
Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

I am leaning towards that is what i heard. Once again, Iam not asking if it is to early. It is what i heard. How many times has yours called in all the bucks on the property you hunt like the video for the calls do? LOL And please direct me to your post where you have showed your vast expertise in the buck growl department.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it guys but I know of two people sittingtogether last weekend during a statewide herd control huntseen a Big Buck chasing a doe. In years past while hunting during a Tzone or heard control hunthere in Wisconsin I have seen some big bucks (3.5 yr.old bucks)just walk out aimlessly nose to the ground. These hunts are always the second or third week of October. So I don't think it was a coincidence that you heard the growl.
In my opinion I think there is always a little bit of breeding that takes place in October, but not a lot.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mbruizer187

Heard the weirdest thing ever for so far in the woods to date. Me and my hunting partner were heading into the woods this morning on the 300+ acre property we hunt and after parking and starting to head to the woods for our hike to the stand locations we actually head a noise that can only be explained as the BUCK GROWL, or ROAR. It was about an hour before sunrise and it went on for 20 min, in an area below the hill we hunt between a swamp and pond, it was within 100 yards of us and we kept hearing it up to 300 yards from where we think the deer was. I dont fall for those gimicks and still wont buy one but now I know it is and actual sound a deer makes because of the grunting and what not mixed in.
Acording to www.deeranddeerhunting.com around the second week of October this year, 2008 is the first rut.

So it could have been a buck roar.

JMHO
Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mbruizer187

Heard the weirdest thing ever for so far in the woods to date. Me and my hunting partner were heading into the woods this morning on the 300+ acre property we hunt and after parking and starting to head to the woods for our hike to the stand locations we actually head a noise that can only be explained as the BUCK GROWL, or ROAR. It was about an hour before sunrise and it went on for 20 min, in an area below the hill we hunt between a swamp and pond, it was within 100 yards of us and we kept hearing it up to 300 yards from where we think the deer was. I dont fall for those gimicks and still wont buy one but now I know it is and actual sound a deer makes because of the grunting and what not mixed in.

Can you post a Link of Deer Growls????

Here are Deer Vocolazation sounds.....

Bowhunting Magazine - Sounds of Whitetails

Quick Reply: Heard a buck Growl!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.