Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heard a buck Growl!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Heard a buck Growl!!!

Only video i have ever seen was on the internet, from the makers of the buck growl, M.A.D. http://www.obsessionarchery.com/buck-growl-mad-calls-p-830.html

Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 PM

I just e-mailed deer researcher T.R. Michels, and he said that there is no evidence of a whitetail deer growling for 20 minutes. The longest call of a whitetaqil buck was a7 second grunt while the buck was followign a doe.

A buck might use a "grunt" towarn off other deer, but it is never more than a few seconds in length, and it would notcontinue for more that two or thrre times over a 1 minute period.

Must be something else.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Then you tell me what then lol, it wasnt one 20 min growl, its was i large number of growls, over and over then stopping and going over the course of 20 min. funny until the calls came out on the market i have never even heard of it, and if researchers did why didnt they invent a call and make some money? And by the way the 6 point i watched chasing 2 does around the day before, was grunting over and over for well over 3 min while i watched him lol so i dont know what to tell you bud, get in the woods more

P.S.
Does T.R. Michels answer all your questions for you? LOL seems to by all your posts
Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow you people are ROUGH. If the guy says he heard, he heard it. Just cause it’s “early” doesn’t mean squat. Ever heard a gobbler in the fall? Obviously none of you ever have because that’s not when the books say they gobble.

Throw an early estrous doe into a group of bucks, and you are going to hear lots of grunts & growls. The time I heard the buck “growl” was Halloween a couple years back. The ordeal between him, another buck, and a doe went on for 35 minutes before I finally killed the buck. Grunts, growls & snort wheezes repeatedly. VERY intense encounter.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Rybo, yeah they are quick to call someone a liar, or tell them they have no clue what they are talking about lol, no biggy i know what i heard.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 PM

yeah I agree that you heard the growl. Last year about this time I heard a buck growl and saw that he was on a hot doe that was not ready to stand and boy was he pumped he was dogging her all over the place growling snort wheezing you name it he was doing it. And to say the least, latley scrapes and some awesome rubs are popping up all over and I feel sorry for some of thetrees I have found shredded. So there is no dout in my mind that there is alot of aggresive deer out there now.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:53 PM

I'm with ya on that, mbruizer187.

I have also heardthe "growl"first-hand. It happened two years ago, right after the call hit the market. Had I not been (and still am) a call freak,never bought it, and watched the video...I would have had no idea whatI heard. It happened, as someone else stated, when I had shot a buck. I clipped his spinefrom about 120 yards. He let the sound out four consecutive times. To say the least, it was aneerie sound.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok now one thing that should not be confused is the moan of a spine shot deer and that of an emotionally excited buck in the presence of a hot doe and other bucks. Yes they sound very similar(or even the same) but obviously they are made under 2 COMPLETELY unrelated circumstances and have absolutely NO connection between each other. The call makers certainly were not trying to mimic the groans of a spine shot deer with their call. So to try and equate that, with the real “growl” doesn’t really make sense. But it is a good way to describe the sound to someone.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Ok now one thing that should not be confused is the moan of a spine shot deer and that of an emotionally excited buck in the presence of a hot doe and other bucks. Yes they sound very similar(or even the same) but obviously they are made under 2 COMPLETELY unrelated circumstances and have absolutely NO connection between each other. The call makers certainly were not trying to mimic the groans of a spine shot deer with their call. So to try and equate that, with the real “growl” doesn’t really make sense. But it is a good way to describe the sound to someone.
We will just have to agree to disagree on your point.

The growl, as I have heard it described, is a aggressive/highly agitatedsound produced by bucks. To say that a paralyzing shot could not cause a buck to make a sound, one that I know and equated to the "growl" or "roar", is unfounded. Not to try to convince you, but the buck was lured in with a Pee Willie Wick scent dispenser full of Ms. Does Pee at the end of January in Alabama. Spelled out in simple terms...FULL RUT!

Sorry if this comes across harsh, but seems to be alot of "name calling" on this site from time-to-time. No need in refuting what a person believes, believes they hear/saw, etc. by coming across as implying they are lying. What is the point in that?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: mbruizer187

Heard the weirdest thing ever for so far in the woods to date. Me and my hunting partner were heading into the woods this morning on the 300+ acre property we hunt and after parking and starting to head to the woods for our hike to the stand locations we actually head a noise that can only be explained as the BUCK GROWL, or ROAR. It was about an hour before sunrise and it went on for 20 min, in an area below the hill we hunt between a swamp and pond, it was within 100 yards of us and we kept hearing it up to 300 yards from where we think the deer was. I dont fall for those gimicks and still wont buy one but now I know it is and actual sound a deer makes because of the grunting and what not mixed in.
thanks rebel hog those are awesome

Can you post a Link of Deer Growls????

Here are Deer Vocolazation sounds.....

Bowhunting Magazine - Sounds of Whitetails

Quick Reply: Heard a buck Growl!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.