Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Luring out a big buck?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Luring out a big buck?

First off let me state that I am new to hunting.

I built twopermanentblinds with my brother-in-law and put them on my father-in-laws hunting property three weeks ago. We are both new hunters and we just put the blinds in spots we thought looked good with out doing any scouting.
So this weekend I went out and sat in the blind we put way back in the woods. I did not see any deer the whole weekend. After I got out of my blind on the last day of hunting I decided to scout around. I found four scrapes that stunk to high heaven and a huge bedding area no more than30 feet from my blind. While doing this a DNR conservation ranger came up to me to make sure I was not a tresspasser because no one has hunted on that plot of land before. I showed him what I had found and he said he had only seen a bed that big twice in his life and that he had killed both bucks and they both were ten points.

So my questions are: Do I just have to wait him out and be patient? Do I need to lure him out with urine or someother type of scent lure? Do I need to lure him out with a call of some sort?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Luring out a big buck?

I would get some Tink's Power Scrape. If your are that close to his "home area", he will defend it. Grunt calls and rattling may help you.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

If his bed was only 30 yrds from your blind, there is a good chance you spooked him out of his bedding area. Hopefully not though. I would try to make a mock scrape and also I would rattle and grunt too. If he is still around he will come to see who is in his area.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 PM

use some tink #69 doe urine and make a drag line then put some on a leaf or something about 20 yrds from you blind..it worked twice for me in the past....im not sure i would try to call him in to you
Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldn't hunt right on top of his bedding area. try to find where he is going to eat and set up inbetween these two spots. mock scrapes will work but from my personal experience, bucks use scrapes more during the night. utilize your grunt tubes and try some rattle'n. once a buck locates a hot doe, calls normally will no longer work, his mind is only on one thing.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 PM

If the bucks is beddding there during the day, you are way too close to his bedding area /daytime core area. You'll sp[ook him out everytiem you hunt there. I'd look for his rub route into and out of that area, then set up along it - far enough way that you don't spook him, and hdunt him when he leaves in the evening , or when he returns in the morning.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

Wait till the rut and use scents, and calls. If you do them right, you should at least have some bucks come in. Whether they are big bucks or small bucks you should have something come by.