Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter

Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 PM

Default New hunter

hey just a question for all you seasoned hunters out there. I bought my first bow about a year ago and tonight i killed my first deer with it. Nothing special just a little 1 1/2 or 2 year old 8 pointer, but what i am struggling with is should i have passed on him and shot a doe instead? he was the biggest of the three bucks i saw in the group. My friend said dont worry i got my cherry popped and from no on i can let the little ones go and focus on the does and big boys, any thoughts?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New hunter

Congrats on your first buck buddy. I'll be honest with you im not much on suggesting to youngsters to hold out for big bucks. Personally I believe young hunters need to get somedeer under their belts before they start holding out for big bucks only. And by all means shoot some does there are way to many does in most parts of the USA today. I personaly believe that young hunters need the experience and the confidience that comes with harvesting deer. When istarted deer hunting in the late 70's I shot the first legal deer that came by me. All those years of doing that gave me confidience in my huntingand shooting ability. Once I got olderthere came a day when i didnt want to shoot the first one that came by. I still shoot 2 or 3 does every year to help the herd out and its very good eating. One of my friends sons hunt with us and he wont shoot a doe or small buck, he says he is holding out for a big one,(he is only 16). To this day he has not killed a deer either and i dont think this is such a good idea. Hunting is supposed to be fun and a learning experience for young people. But this is what he wants to do so who an I to say otherwise. So go and have fun hunting and if your satisfied with taking a smaller buck then by all means have at it.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first deer, you shota good buck and you should celebrate that fact. If it's shooting a 140 pound spike or 200 pound doe. Any deer with a bow is a trophy and that's a true statement. You did well and I would have shot it unless you are under a management program. Congrats again and welcome to the club.

But they ban you from the forum if you don't post a pic. Just thought I would tell you.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

congrats on your first buck...hope many more are to come in your future...you seem to have a good head on your shoulder so I think you will be fine...
Old 10-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it was a legal deer and you're happy, then I'm happy. Don't get hung up on the trophy buck idealism.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Photo Gallery Member List Search The Forum FAQ Ticket List Rules Log Out
ORIGINAL: MOHUNTER1977

hey just a question for all you seasoned hunters out there. I bought my first bow about a year ago and tonight i killed my first deer with it. Nothing special just a little 1 1/2 or 2 year old 8 pointer,
Actually, that IS very special! Good job and congrats! Who cares what a "seasoned hunter" thinks? If you made a clean bowkill on any buck or doe, then you did the right thing IMHO. Got any pics?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

pics pics pics
Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 AM

I agree with everyone shooting ur first buck(not to mention with a bow) is awesome. U shouldnt be worried or anything like that an 8 pointer is awesome. my first deer was a little muley doe so ur beating me right now. No reason for regrets. . . celebrate!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM

Congratulations!

It all comes down to you Mo. Are YOU happy with the deer you took? I have only ever shot does and every one of my memories of the huntsis wonderful. Shoot what you want to shoot at (as long as it's legal and ethical) and don't let anyone else tell you any different.

From what I understand, man card violations are in effect for no picture (especially of your first deer)

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM

but i agree w/ everyone else give us some pics of this buck

Quick Reply: New hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.