Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Scents ?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Default Deer Scents ?

Have any of you actually seen a deer follow in a senct line you have made or mack scrape ? If so If so what brand,state,circumstances and month ? I've used about everything and I've never had it happen.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Deer Scents ?

Early season a i usea white oak acorn extract called shines. It's a brown sweet smelling liquid that comes in 8 oz. bottles. I have had several deer follow me to my stand and or (do circles at the base of my tree). Me and several of my buddies use it we get it from a guy down in alabama. Good stuff! Got my first bow kill because if it, little basket rack popped up out of the ditch and started sniffing on the fence post in front of me that i'd sprayed it on.

Other than that, i use doe-in-heat, code blue works pretty well, and i've used tinks with some success. I usually dont hunt over to many scrapes during the rut since most of them are checked at night, but i do lay a trail down with a scent drag when i can.

I also use shines through the rut as and into the late season. BTW this stuff is a great cover scent to, spray it on your clothes, boots, and gear!

I prefer to use the deer's stomach against em, during the rut, the more doe's you have come your way the bigger the chance one of em is in heat and a doe in heat is sure to get the attention of a mature buck!

But just keep in mind, if your laying down a scent trail the deer have to cross your path before they can smell it, and there's a lot of ground to cover, so you just have to use the scents strategically.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

My dad and I spray the bottom of our boots with doe in estrus and we both have had bucks smell the whole trail we left to our stand. We normally start spraying our boots with it about Oct. 20th. We both have had bucks and does smell the scents we have out during the rut. We use tinks, primetime doe estrus, rut-in-buck(I think it's called that), we use that buck bomb stuff and all those work for us. We keep having success using those scents. You should also use calls: rattle bag or antlers, grunts, doe bleats, buck growl, etc..
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM

I use Wildlife Research Centers estrus doe urine as a drag rag, and Active Scrap in an Ultimate Scraep Dripper, and have lots of photos of bucks at those scraep where I haang the dripper. I actually watched a deer follow my drage trail right to whefr I sat.