Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 The "White-tailed Deer Hunter's Survey" >

The "White-tailed Deer Hunter's Survey"

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The "White-tailed Deer Hunter's Survey"

Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Default The "White-tailed Deer Hunter's Survey"

T.R. Michels recently ran this survey on the internet.

I poste his conmment on what the term "peak rut" meant on another thread.

His reason for psting THe definition was because many hunters difeind it as different tnings.

When he wtites he wants everyone to understand the exact time-frame her refers to when he wrtires or talks about "paek rut" whis is the sceinttific definition, whis is the onlydefinition there is a consesus on.

Here are some of the answere from the srvey, they showhow much confusion there is on this subject.

8. How do you define "peak rut"? And how many days do you think it lasts?
Number of Respondents
Number or respondents who skipped this question 123
1 When the bucks are chasing the hardest and not intrested in anything but the girls. Peak lasts maybe 10 - 14 days
2 The point where most does are in estrus, and the bucks are travelling to be with as many as possible.
3 2 WEEKS
4 Period durring which the highest percentage of does are in estrous.
5 the time when does are standing and in estrus
6 When the most does are near or ready to stand
7 3 days per Buck, while he is breading his current doe.
8 The time when the majority of the does are in estrus, will last 7-14 days in a "normal" year
9 Peak rut, to me, is the period when the majority of does are coming into heat. There are always a few earlier than other does, some later, but the bulk will come into heat in the same 4-5 day stretch.
10 At the time most does are coming into rut and the bucks are running the hardest.
11 Peak rut is when most of the does are in estrus and it lasts for about two weeks.
12 bucks are going after any doe they see and are respnding to almost any doe call. 3 days
13 I would define "peak rut" to be the period of time when the majority of the does are actually bred. This would not necessarily be the best time to harvest a monster buck.
14 12 days
15 I define the peak as the period in our area of November when the majority of the does are comming in or are in estrous and the bucks are on "lock" down and bedded with the does waiting for them to come in. Usually last 2-3 days, then the bucks go nuts looking for more female, kind of like 3 am at the local bar LOL
16 Peak rut is the time at which the most does are in heat at once. The peak being the top of a bell curve can be 5-7 days.
17 When most of the bucks are chasing does. It probably depends on the number of does in the area, and their estrus cycle.
18 the chase ---10 days
19 5 day period where mature does estrus
20 For me a peak rut is defined by the days in which antlered deer are at their highest level of activity seeking out estrus does and mating with them - keeping within a smaller area of habitat than they would otherwise normally cover. It can last a varying amount dependent on many external factors but the typical accepted thought is 2-3 days...
21 peak rut is when the does are becoming ready to bread and the bucks are hot on their heels, constantly searching for that hot doe.
22 Peak rut to me means more than a few does are in estrous. I guess this lasts for 7-10 days
23 The peak of the breeding season. One week
24 majority of does in estrus and bucks movin all day
25 By early November, a bucks testosterone levels and a does estrogen levels have peaked, setting the stage for the rut. This is the time when bucks are going goofy while rubbing, scaping, chasing and fighting.
26 i think that the peak rut is the time that the breeding is at its highest. i dont think it lasts longer than 48 hours.
27 when the most does are bread 7to 14 days lockdown
28 approx. 10 to 14 days
29 peak rut is where does are in estrus, 2-4 days
30 It's whenthe most does are in estrus? 14 days
31 peak breeding
32 IMO, peak rut would be the maximum number of does, in a given area, in estrous at the same time.
33 when breeding has reached its maximum and think it last around 3 weeks
34 Peak rut is when the buks are going crazy to find a doe in heat. When they are thinking more with the little head then the one carrying the antlers. When most does are in heat and standing for a buck.
35 the period when the majority of the does are in estrous - causing the bucks to chase
36 when bucks hold up with does ((not running them))
37 Right after the hard chase period when they lock down together. Deer movement dies off pretty good. Last about a week.
38 week or so
39 When most of the does are in estrus, length of peak rut depends on weather, and possibly hunting pressure.
40 when the majority of does are in estrus. depending on deer density, sex ratios, 3 to 5 days.
41 peak rut is during the full moon phase
42 Peak breeding one week or so.
43 here in Illinios, peak rut is opening firearms season(ha) bummer for us bow hunters
44 When breeding activity seems highest and it seems to last only about 5 or 6 days
45 15 days , when i see a buck getting some *****.
46 28
47 large percent of does in heat 12 days
48 When every doe had been in estus at least once.
49 There really is not a peak rut. I buck cannot breed until the doe is in estrus. It is during this time that most likely the doe wil take buck. Sometime between 5th and 20th of November in North Dakota. Much has to do with the phases of the moon.
50 The peak rut is during the seeking and chasing phase when bucks travel all day and covera lot of ground in search for does. Where I'm from in SW OHio/SE Indiana, it is usually the very beginning of november
51 10
52 MOST DOE IN ESTRUS 1 WEEK
53 Peak rut is when the buck is at his wildest to got a doe! In my opinion it lasts maybe a week or less.
54 4 to 5
55 When bucks begin the search for does for actual mating. 5-7 days
56 when the majority of does are in heat at the same time
57 Peak rut is the period in which seek and chase period is in full swing. Usually lasts about 4-7 days.
58 Seasonal changes 1 month
59 When the majority of does are in heat.
60 The period of time where the great majority of does are being bred. In MN, the period starts in early November, peaks about mid-Nov, and continues through a second estrous period in early December.
61 I say peak rut is the chase phase which I would say lasts 7-10 days here in iowa.
62 When the greatest # of doe's are in estrus. This is when the greatest overlap of different aged does are actively in estrous. About 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer
63 The time when the does are in estrus. About 2 weeks
64 The time when most does are in estrus and the bucks are running rampant trying to breed them. 2 weeks at the most.
65 Peak Rut is just before the first doe come in to heat. The buck are in a frenzy trying to find the first hot doe. After they detect a doe is close they lock down with a doe and don't leave her side until they are chllenged by a more dominant buck or the doe comes in to heat.
66 Peak rut is when the majority of does in a given area come into estrus, it can last 4-6 days
67 Breeding time 3-4 days
68 peak rut is when the most rutting activity takes place. Approximately 5-8 days.
69 peak rut when the most mating goes on. and only for 3 or 4 days
70 two weeks
71 when majority of does are in estrus at same time, and lasts about 1 week
72 This would be the time when the most does were in estrus
73 when most of the does are in estrus. it depends on the buck-doe ratio. about one week where i hunt.
74 I define the "peak rut" as the days that the bucks are the most frantic. As opposed to the "peak breeding" times when the majority of the mature bucks are bedded up with their does. In my experience the peak rut usually last 4-5 days then gradually decreases. Of course, there are going to variations between different deer and deer herds.
75 dont believe pa has a peak rut
76 the period when the most does are in estrous
77 when bucks completely loose their minds. two weeks.
78 when most does are in estrus. 10-14 days
79 activity just prior to the highest number of does coming into estrous
80 2 weeks
81 When does are being bred. 4 - 7 days
82 when the majority of does are in estrous and the bucks are searching
83 I define peak rut as the time when the most does are close to the 24 hour peak estrous period. This is when bucks tend to make the most mistakes and get shot. I think it lasts for a week roughly.
84 I don't usually, but the first "peak rut" probably lasts a couple weeks and then it returns a month or so later.
85 Actual breeding phase of the rut, first estrus cycle. 10 days
86 3 days
87 Confusing subject. Where I hunt in southeast Alabama the bucks started making scrapes in mid January. Last weekend, March 1, there were more fresh scrapes than there were the last week of Jan.
88 3 weeks
89 chase cycle i think it lasts 9 days
90 2weeks
91 when the bucks are moving constantly, about 3 days.
92 when deer are trying to breeed. how long it last depend on how many does are in an area.
93 On very high wind periods, they will yard up in the middle of fields. On medium windy days, if cold, they will seek shelter. Low wind seems to just make them more cautious.
94 Period of greatest breeding activity. 5-10 days depending on weather conditions.
95 Buck Movement not necessarily associated with peak numbers of does in estrus. 1 week
96 the period during which the MAJORITY of does in the area I am hunting are in estrous and being actyively pursued by bucks for breeding - In some of the better managed areas I get to hunt, it seems to last roughly a month, with the most intense activity during the mid two weeks
97 Peak rut is when the majority of the does are in estrus and the bucks are breeding them., This usually lasts 5 days
98 Rut starts slow,builds to a peak and slows down.Therefore the peak would be one day.
99 14 days
100 I would define the peak of the rut the chasing phase which usually happens around the first week of November.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The "White-tailed Deer Hunter's Survey"

Wow that's alot of typing!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

little too much time on your hands?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 PM

U need to find a woman.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM