Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is this from a blacktail or a white-tailed deer??? >

is this from a blacktail or a white-tailed deer???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is this from a blacktail or a white-tailed deer???

Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 PM

Default is this from a blacktail or a white-tailed deer???

I could not tell if this is from a blacktailed deer or a columbian white-tailed shed??

Old 01-15-2007, 08:27 PM

Default RE: is this from a blacktail or a white-tailed deer???

kinda thinkin blacktail knowing your from oregon only a few white ta's around but sorta looks like whitee to maybe there moving out of roseburg into josephine county
Old 01-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

COLUMBIAN WHITETAIL
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't say for sure but the beading on the base of that antler doesn't look like a whitetail to me.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

100% COLUMBIAN BLACKTAIL........ no such deer as a columbian whitetail
Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM

The horn growth pattern definitely resembles whitetail.I shot a similar deer about 10 years ago in an area of Western WA that is not supposed to contain any whitetails. It was about amile north of Minot Peak near Elmaand in 40+ years of hunting here, no one in my entire family has ever seen a deer that looked like a whitetail other than this one. There is a rumor that years back, someone released some whitetails into the area and they cross-bred with the blacktails.The deer I shot had blacktail marking, but the ears were not exactly right for a backtail and the horns were definitely not right for a blacktail.

You'll have to decide for yourself what you think it is.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

sharpstick......i agree that the pattern doesresemble a whitetail and even here in CA i have seen some deer killed that had antlers with what would appear to be whitetail based on the curving main beam and not having the typical forking like blacktails and mulies have......however, if you look at the eye guard being very small which is typical of blacktails not whitetails and then also how the forking of the main beam and the G's...not straight up and down like a typical whitetail but they are bent forward showing that the antler as when it was younger was a forked animal more like a blacktail not a whitetail....based on where the antler was found (as stated above in OR) and this i would have to say more then likely blacktail.....however, it could be a freak of nature and have some crossing of whitetail not to say you are wrong, but % wise it would have to lean to blacktail..
Old 01-16-2007, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

100% COLUMBIAN BLACKTAIL........ no such deer as a columbian whitetail
Here's a Columbian whitetail. My friend drew a tag a shot it last year in Oregon.

Hard to say what that antler came from without some form of genetic testing. I've seen a lot of blacktails sporting racks with whitetail charateristics but I've seldom seen a whitetail sporting a biforcated G2 like a blacktail/mulie, but your rack shows no definitive character one way or the other.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice hair cut. Looks like it could double as a launch pad.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kodiak.....thanks for the input, you would think someone living in CA would have heard something about these deer in OR, but to be honest i have never heard of such a thing...i was just reading up on it and it appears that they were endangered and are now being able to be hunted and seems to be only found in OR.....

i retract my statement above about no such thing as columbia whitetail....

thanks Kodiak,
Josh

Quick Reply: is this from a blacktail or a white-tailed deer???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.