Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Contaminating hunting area?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Spike

Default Contaminating hunting area?

Can anyone out there tell me if field dressing and then hanging a harvested deer overnight within 100 yds of tree stand contaminates that area for hunting the rest of the season???
Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Contaminating hunting area?

Why would you want to do that?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Spike

because my wife wont let me hang deer in garage and I couldnt get into the coooler until morning
Old 10-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol. Show her who the boss is. I would say it would be ok the next weekend but I dont know about the naxt day or 2. What time frame are you asking about?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

NO! Article in Deer&Deer other year said field dressing deer near stand wouldn't contaminate the area. But hanging it might, I would think, check it out.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'd move further than that. Sounds like your inviting coyotes and other scavengers into the area. Once it's all gone though I suppose you'd be alright.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Spike

I hunt in Wisconsin where we have earn a buck and this was a doe I shot to get my buck tag and for some good eatin! I will not be going back to that stand until at least pre-rut. A friend of mine mentioned it would be contaminated for the year and I find that really hard to believe. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 PM

I know guys who have shot buck then dressed them and put them under his tree until he was ready to leave and killed another buck 30 minutes later.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gutting a deer out at a certain site does not negatively affect hunting in that area at all.

In fact, it may actually seem to attract deer. I've set a trail camera up over a deer carcass and got several pictures of other deer coming to check it out.

There have been several articles discussing this all stating that it did not negatively affect hunting in the area.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Spike

I wouldnt worry about the smell of the carcass , that shouldn't make any difference , I would be more concerned with the extra human scent left behind from all the activity. I'd take it home, whats your wife gonna do , take away your birthday ? lol

Quick Reply: Contaminating hunting area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.