Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Contaminating hunting area?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 AM

Default RE: Contaminating hunting area?

I know that many articles have said that it wouldn't make a big deal, but I wouldn't want to test this theory. I mean if you could take it somewhere else like a friend or something I would do that. No need pushing your luck and ruining a great area. Just my .02.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you process your own or take it to a butcher? If you take in just bring it in to the butcher and they'll hang in the cooler until it's cut up.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about it. Ive shot deer, gutted them and let them lay and within 30 minutes Ive deer feed right up to them. Deer have seen dead deer before so I wouldn't think they would be bothered by them. The only thing I have ever been concerned about was the coyotes coming into the gut pile which is why I gut my deer a little farther from my stands now.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your buddy is incorrect. Gutting a deer near your stand will not contaminte the area.

Where I am, coyotes and other critters clean up gut piles within a day or two.

I have shot deer within feet of where I gutted another deerless thana week prior.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be more worried about the amount of human scent that would be around after all the activity.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Crokit hit the nail on the head ... the gutting and the hanging of the deer won't effect anything.

ORIGINAL: crokit

I'd be more worried about the amount of human scent that would be around after all the activity.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillrunner

I wouldnt worry about the smell of the carcass , that shouldn't make any difference , I would be more concerned with the extra human scent left behind from all the activity. I'd take it home, whats your wife gonna do , take away your birthday ? lol
I agree with hillrunner. Not about taking away yourbirthday but being concerned about human scent. Outside of possibly attracting predators, I honestly don't think the scent of a gutten deer and carcass would be a concern.

One other thought. When we hang a deer, we always hang our hunting jacket on the deer as well, allowing it to pick up the scent of the deer.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:15 PM

i would never do it cuz i have a place to hang and gut mine..but the deer dont kno that a human killed it..they dont associate a dead deer with humans..they dont come across a dead deer and say oh..a human must have killed that..they just dont analyze things like that..