Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Decoy

Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Spike

Default Deer Decoy

I just got a deer decoy this year. I was wondering when do you guys start using them? What are some tips?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Decoy

hunt a field, make sure you have a grunt call and grunt a few times when needed rattling wouldnt be bad either
Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with 1shot , I would also like to add when using your decoy make sure that you have it placed right.
Since most decoys can be either buck or doe placement is improtant , if your going to use it as a doe then you want the rear of it facing you.
When using it as buck , just the opposite reason being most bucks will approach another buck head on or face to face.
Bucks will walk up to does to sniff at their rear , by doing so this allows you to draw back or raise your gun without being noticed providing you with a broad side shot.
It would also help if you applied sents to your decoy , doe - in - heat for does and tarsel gland for buck , some hunters have placed a soaked rag or cotton ball just below the decoy with a string or fishing line taped on the bottom of it.
One more important thing to remember , decoys only work at certian times like late Octorber and the first two weeks of November.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Just to expand on using scents on the deer decoy, DO NOT forget your own scent you are leaving on the decoy. I highly recommend using latex gloves when handling the decoy, that means from putting it into your truck all the way into the field. I canot stress this enough. As well, once you have the decoy in the spot you desire, spray it down with Scent Eliminator spray from top to bottom and front to back. If all is done right, you can have a great hunting experience.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: The Outdoorsman

Just to expand on using scents on the deer decoy, DO NOT forget your own scent you are leaving on the decoy. I highly recommend using latex gloves when handling the decoy, that means from putting it into your truck all the way into the field. I canot stress this enough. As well, once you have the decoy in the spot you desire, spray it down with Scent Eliminator spray from top to bottom and front to back. If all is done right, you can have a great hunting experience.
Very well said , thank you for adding that .
Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

No problem RDHunter. Its been proven time and time again, you get a deers nose close to something you have touched with human hands, you can put as much deer scent on it, the deer will still smell your human scent.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: The Outdoorsman

No problem RDHunter. Its been proven time and time again, you get a deers nose close to something you have touched with human hands, you can put as much deer scent on it, the deer will still smell your human scent.
Your right about that , their nose are so senseitive that they can smell many diffrent orders at the same time.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:21 PM

deer decoys can be used in all phases of the rut..during the pre rut..it can give deer confidence and just bring them in closer or make them curious..during the rut it can be a challenging decoy that a dominant buck will come running to show him whos boss..post rut..curiosity, confidence and challenge decoy for any doe that might come into late or second estrous. Put doe estrous sent on the buck of a doe decoy once and i had a buck walk straight up to it mount it..kinda funny..it was a spike so i couldnt shoot..he tried like 4 times and realized she just wasnt given it up and he went a bout his business.