Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Deer Decoy

Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Deer Decoy

Has anyone used a Renzo 2D whitetail decoy? I would like to try using a decoy, but the 3D ones are very difficult for me to handle. Also, I have read conflicting information about using a doe or a buck decoy. Has any one had luck with either? I would like to here. Charlie
Old 01-20-2005, 09:20 AM

Default RE: Deer Decoy

I have had luck with both buck and doe decoys. The key is using them at the right time.I use a buck decoy during the rut with a tiny bit of rattleing and some tending grunts. I shot a nice 8 point in 2003 with this method at peak rut. I use a doe decoy in late or post rut. I hunt field edges in corners of fields or where 2 fields come together. I don't call unless i actually see the deer this time of year.I use a bleat can. I shot a 150 class 10 point this year on DEC. 15 2004. Also i place my decoy up wind of me about 20 yards to try to be sure to bring the bucks in shooting range, because they usually come from downwind. all of this was with a carry-lite 3-d decoy, but im guessing a 2-d decoy would do the same if positioned right. I hope my info helps you harvest a nice buck. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 PM

i agree with bigrackhunter on what he's doing i do the same with my 3-d decoy i rattleing some then grunt but also i put some doe-in-heat 0n a tissue for the tail then grunt a little i have kill spike,6pt,9pt. good luck hope this help a little
Old 02-10-2005, 04:54 PM

I used one this year Ican. I had a nice 4 pt. come down the trail, saw my Renzo and ran away. Went about 40yds. stopped, sniffed the air, and came back only to see it again and run off again. After this went on for the third time i took a clear shot at him at 50yds. and guess what? MISFIRE! ..I think the deer and myself were ready for a breakdown... Hope to have better luck with it this year. I believe i need more practice with position and scent control of the decoy.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:13 PM

JOE-BEEF - did you use a buck or a doe Renzo? I bought both and wonder which one or both I should try. ican
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 AM

Ican , I used a doe decoy. Since posting , i've learned, or should i say read , that you should'nt put the decoy right on the trail itself , but off to the side. That was on Renzos.com
Old 02-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i can try the feather flex its full body and foam
Old 02-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

YOU CAN GET DECOYS THAT THE TAIL WAGS ON
Old 02-25-2005, 07:07 AM

You can get a decoy that moves its head and wags its tail but they are very expensive . The one i saw was around $ 800.00. I can't touch that on disability wages .
Old 02-28-2005, 10:38 AM

I have an idea to put out the 2D decoys I bought by setting them up so the head is against a tree or bush and the tail of the doe is pointing at my ground blind. The deer will see it from the side but not head on. If they come up behind it they will be within range. I was thinking of putting out the outer decoy at a 90-degree angle from the doe and put it between 2 trees or bushes. This is just a thought from a beginner at hunting with my crossbow and trying to get something to walk by. What are your thoughts? Any other ideas to help?

Quick Reply: Deer Decoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.