Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

Had this exact thing happen last night. I arrowed a nice doe at 7:30. Went back to the truck got the atv and loaded her up. Got her home and gutted her at about 8:30. I am going to finsh her up tonight when I get home from work tonight. My buddy is going to teach me because this will be my first butcher job. I'm looking forward to it. He told me she would be fine hanging in the garage today but would need to be cut up tonight.
You've had a deer hanging in 70degree temps since last night? Hopefully it is packed with ice or in a cooler. If not I wouldn't touch it tonight, but that is just me.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Normally I wouldnt hunt, as the case being this week,but in the scenario that I am. I wait atleast 30 minutes to make sure it doesnt get up, make a slow walk towards the deer, once seeing that it has expired, I get the deer gutted out, drag it to the edge of the field, sicne my truck usually isnt too far from mystand i cant follow the scenario to the tee. Get my truck get it loaded, get it to town, get it registered get it on ice, get it back to the farm, skin it and quarter it out and freeze. If i had an hour drag out....i get the fater on law on the phone tell him where I am have him come wiht the JD Gator and load the bugger up adn get it out asap, some drags have taken me an hour. If you get it cleaned and cooled off youll be alright.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

I would butcher it.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

well first off i would walk from my stand off to my uncles house bout 1/2 mile get the gator and maybe one of the cousins to help load.temp. tag the deer then gut the deer out in the field. load him/her up and up to the truck. load onto truck and up to carry out just about 5 minutes away get 2 or 3 big bags of ice until to hold over until the next day. unload deer. wash out and place ice in chest cavity between hind quarters and over hind quarters depending on how much ice i got then place deer in respective place in garage or shed with old heavy military type parka for insulation then wait until the next day. load deer back into truck and take to check in station. after that bring home hang and start chopping away. sounds complicated but its what i always do and have never had any problems. all of my archery harvests have come in the evening. yes most of this work is done by flashlight or other forms of light due to the lack of sunlight after recovery
Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If being in the dark at 59 degrees bothers you...deer huntin may not be for you. I'd do the same thing with it I'd do if it were first thing in the morning on Saturday and 20 degrees...but thats just me.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

You've had a deer hanging in 70degree temps since last night? Hopefully it is packed with ice or in a cooler. If not I wouldn't touch it tonight, but that is just me.
I've done it this way for years only difference is instead of hauling her to the meat locker tonight I'll be cutting her up myself. My meat locker guy says no worries. I figure he's a pro so he should know.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

First I would hit the Caps Lock button on mykeyboard, then gut the deer, take home, hang, wash out, skin, quarter, throw meat in the fridge and cut up when convenient, or cut up immediatly.

Was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your concern now is to get that meat cooled as soon as possible.
After you dress the deer out and haul him back to your truck, you have a couple options:

Call a butcher and get him in cold storage.
Pack the cavity with as much ice as possible and butcher the deer tonight.
I would skin, cut up the deer and put the meat in the frig. Don't worry about slicing, wrapping etc, you can do that in the next few days.

I would not chance hanging the deer out overnight, even if it's packed with bags of ice.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

I LOVE PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO IN THERE CRYBABY ****ING LIVES THEN TO SAY STUPID **** ABOUT SOMEONE USING CAPS, MAYBE THE PERSON USING CAPS CANT SEE AS WELL AS YOU DUMB ****S

JUST MY OPINION I COULD BE WRONG
Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grab a leg and start dragged (You decided to play now you got to pay) then drop himin the over night cooler at the processors. Easy homw by 9:00 and got a new story to tell.

Quick Reply: YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.