Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

when you put it in the cooler make sure you get the meat cooled down before you put it in the cooler because the meat can spoil easier

ORIGINAL: xkmorris

1st of all with the temp that high you need to get the deer back to camp . Gut & quarter and ice the deer down in a cooler asap if you cant get it home to take care of it.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing I do that I forgot to mention. I will saw off the ribs close to the spine. I'll then cut close to the bone on every other rib bone to leave meat on the middle bones. The other bones without meat I will save to make venison stock. I will save other bones -- not the spine -- for this also, such as leg bones. The ribs with meat on them will be the first thing I eat. I like to put these into a casserole with some water, cover with aluminum foil, and cook at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Then I drain most of the water and put barbeque sauce on the ribs and cook another 30 minutes. The water tenderizes the meat. This is actually fairly tastey, and most people I feed it to are avid in their eating. The venison broth I freeze in about 1 cup quantities. I use the broth for various purposes, including making a good sauce for backstrap steaks as well as for making wild rice/white rice pilaf.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: npaden

I personally haven't gutted a deer in a while. I see it as a complete waste of time. I skin and quarter the deer in the field and cut the backstraps, tenderloin and neck meat off of it and leave the rest of it where it fell. Even if you gut it, you are going to have to skin and quarter it at some point if you are doing the butchering yourself.

I've shot wild hogs in 90 degree weather and the important thing in warm temperatures is to get the meat in a cooler on ice ASAP. It usually takes me about 30 minutes to have it quartered and in the cooler on ice. If you have to haul the deer out a ways I think you have a couple hours at those temperatures if you get it quartered up and haul it out on your back to get it to a cooler and on ice.

Im with you bud.

quartering if you have an hour drag, It will make the load lighter so you can get out alot faster... then throw it in the coolers til morn...