Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

Old 09-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

titleAndStar(250,0,false,false,"","")
Fork Horn

[align=center][/align]
If being in the dark at 59 degrees bothers you...deer huntin may not be for you. I'd do the same thing with it I'd do if it were first thing in the morning on Saturday and 20 degrees...but thats just me.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? WERE DID I SAY BEING IN THE DARK AT ANY TEMP, BOTHERS ME ? YOU SHOULD READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ BEFORE YOU MAKE STUPID REMARKS ,

ANOTHER THING THIS DID NOT HAPPEN TO ME IT HAPPEND TO A FRIEND AND WE HAD A DISAGREEMENT ABOUT WHAT WE SHOULD DO WITH THE DEER , I MYSELF WOULD CUT THE DEER UP INTO QUATERS AS FAST AS I COULD THEN REFRIDGE UNTIL THE NEXT DAY ,
ASLO ALL YOU GUYS WASHING OUT THE DEERS CAVITY WITH WATER I READ A ARTICAL SAYING YOU SHOULD NOT WASH OUT TH CAVITY UNLESS YOU WILL BE PROCESSING THE DEER WITHIN THE HOURS THE ARTICAL SAID WATER SPEEDS UP BACTERIA GROTH,

Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you have been given good advice, however it appears you have some kind of chip on your shoulder. The comments were made about using CAPS becuase it suggest yelling, nothing more, nothing less. If I were you, I would be more concerned about my deer than calling somebody a DUMB ***S.

Good luck with your deer.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think "DR. KILL" would know what to do.

Steve
Old 09-25-2008, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: DR KILL

titleAndStar(250,0,false,false,"","")
Fork Horn

[align=center][/align]
If being in the dark at 59 degrees bothers you...deer huntin may not be for you. I'd do the same thing with it I'd do if it were first thing in the morning on Saturday and 20 degrees...but thats just me.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? WERE DID I SAY BEING IN THE DARK AT ANY TEMP, BOTHERS ME ? YOU SHOULD READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ BEFORE YOU MAKE STUPID REMARKS ,

ANOTHER THING THIS DID NOT HAPPEN TO ME IT HAPPEND TO A FRIEND AND WE HAD A DISAGREEMENT ABOUT WHAT WE SHOULD DO WITH THE DEER , I MYSELF WOULD CUT THE DEER UP INTO QUATERS AS FAST AS I COULD THEN REFRIDGE UNTIL THE NEXT DAY ,
ASLO ALL YOU GUYS WASHING OUT THE DEERS CAVITY WITH WATER I READ A ARTICAL SAYING YOU SHOULD NOT WASH OUT TH CAVITY UNLESS YOU WILL BE PROCESSING THE DEER WITHIN THE HOURS THE ARTICAL SAID WATER SPEEDS UP BACTERIA GROTH,

Washing out the cavity - Is this true?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:10 PM

I wouldn't think that water from a garden hose would facilitate the growth of bacteria. I mean it's already been cleaned with chemicals and filtered. I know its fact that sunlight and heat will help bacterial grow. But washing it out gets the blood outta there, that's where the bacteria is going to grow. I've been washing deer out and hanging em over night for years and never had a problem with bacteria. For instance my neighbor (proving grounds taxidermy) is finishing his deer up from last year, and he only had one hide slip from poor care and bacteria growth out of about 100 hides. As long as you wash it out and get it cleaned up good it'll be fine.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

well if your concerned about bacteria growth get some ice on the thing and the cold will slow the growth of bacteria. that is why you put things in the fridge or freezer at home. there is always bacteria on food stuffs. refrigeration slows the growth of bacteria and freezing slows it even more but cannot completely stop the growth of bacteria. the little bacteria that will be on the meat will not harm you especially if cooked to proper temps when prepared. dont want to sound like a know it all but i have taken several meat science classes at college so i know a thing or two about the subject of bacteria and meat. no professional butchers do not rinse off the carcass with water but they don't drag a dead disemboweled steer, hog, lamb, goat-whatever through mud,leaves,grass. i was my deer out after i gut it just to get such items out of the body cavity. i have never received food poisening from any meat that i have cleaned myself even after washing out
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Field dress, skin, bone and chill!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Not all of us have treated water either haha.... But I've also read not to rinse it down. I still do it, been doing it for eight years, and my dad for thirty before that.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Spike

Washing out the cavity can facilitate bacteria growth if the other requirements for bacteria growth are met. It must have food which is there, moisture (which is there, water just adds more), warmth, and time. However as long as the temperature is lowered and the deer is butchered within a reasonable about of time it will not matter. Just make sure to lower the temp, lower the better to stop the bacteria from multiplying. Case in point if you wash it out ice it or cool it down then it won’t matter if you wash it out or not.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I wouldn't be hunting in 70 degree weather this early in the year. If you had to though, Gut, hann and quarter immediately. If the temps get that high I would be busting my ass to get that deer quartered and then put in a cooler. From there you can figure out when you want to do the rest.

Quick Reply: YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.