Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public Land

Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public Land

after losing all my leases here in New Jersey I ended up on public land, what I find what works is getting in really deep, for me I'm 2 miles in from the road, and get in much earlier then others, been on public land since 1996 or 1997, I have yet to have a problem with others, cause I only see 1 maybe 2 hunters per hunting season
Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 AM

We only have public land to hunt and we usually go as far as we can, like everyone has also said, just to get the advantage...also, be very careful with your stand if your leaving it there, if its allowed to leave your stand up. Our public land is known for stand thieves and ive lost one myself. Just be careful and have fun!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i will add a little more:

sometimes....and i mean sometimes..... you don't have to get as far back as you think. ( i am speaking from blacktail experience and have only hunted whitetails once) deer will sometimes like to stay in general areas regardless of pressure. they will go nocturnal and stay in the deepest part of the woods, but what i am trying to stay is that they are still there in that general area.

the best advice i can give you if you want to kill a deer is to get out in the woods. the more the better. get a spot that looks good to you, talk to your F&G wardens, local biologist,butchers, archery shops...etc, etc... and look up the area with Topo maps and areial photos to narrow down your area of selection......but get in the woods. the more the better, every chance you get starting in august until january. make notes of where you see deer, when u see them,weather, time, trails, rubs, etc.....eventually you can put together a Big picture and know where deer will be when and how they move (regardless of pressure from road hunters or others)... when you get to this point (it can take a few years) your success can get in the 100% range every year. It has for me and it surely can for you,... but it takes time and boot leather
Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 PM

This year i am going to try and hunt on the air forcfe base near me. Barksdale AFB has over 18,000 acres and most of it is very rough. I like the idea of going on off times and getting deeper in to the woods.

Thanks for the ideas and I will let ya'll know howit turns out.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Whats happening Big Willy, 70 % of my hunting is done on State land in CT for both Bow and Shotgun and I personally see more on State than I do on my private land there is a lot of Deer in CT, all I gota say is, if you do your scouting and watch yoru scent control you will see deer!! Good Luck
John
Old 09-10-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks for all the great info everyone. Hey CTJohn where do you typically hunt, not specifics, but regions. I have no idea what the hunting pressures are here in western CT.