Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Can't draw a high powered hunting bow. >

Can't draw a high powered hunting bow.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can't draw a high powered hunting bow.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Can't draw a high powered hunting bow.

I am an avid bow hunter, but as I aged (I am 75) both my accuracy waned and my inability to draw my bow smoothly (set at 47 lbs, its minimum draw weight)after sitting in a ladder stand for a couple hours made it very difficult to harvest a deer. I did not want to quit bowhunting so I solved the problem by obtaining a drawlock license (required in Michigan tohunt withone). Looking at the two available drawlocks on the internet, I did not consider either suitable for hunting, so I made my own. That coupled with the Compound Bow Rest and Holderwas an ideal solution to my problems. I could pull my 65 lb bow set at its full draw weight (now 61 lbs with age)using my two hands and feet while sitting in my stand, and accuracy was as good as in my younger days. The last two seasons using this system I have harvested 4 deer, 4 and 6 point bucks, a button buck (which I thought was a doe) and a good sized doe. One of the great advantages of this system is that it requires very little movement to shoot, so the deer did not detect me at all.

Although Michigan requires a special license to hunt with a drawlock, many states do not. The drawlock is an alternative to the cross bow and is much easier to draw. I highly recommend this system to anyone who because of lesser strength cannot draw a high powered hunting bow. You can read my complete story at http://www.bowdrawlock.com/my_story.htm.

Vernon Sandel (Chemiker)
Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Can't draw a high powered hunting bow.

Welcome to the board. I would have probably have opted for the crossbow, but if it works then go for it.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 PM

I did not qualify for a crossbow license which requires a higher level of disability. Besides, I already had a compound bow. Actually, I believe my system is at least as good as a crossbow in that a crossbow is heavier, harder to draw unless you have some sort of mechanical advantage, harder to handle while waiting for game.
Chemiker
Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

u smell that??
yep.. spam it is
Old 09-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Glad you found a solution that works for you, but you're lucky you don't live here, the Draw Lok is illegal even for handicapped here.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RuLzU

u smell that??
yep.. spam it is
The only spam in this thread would be if you were about to eat a spam sandwich.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

my suggestion is to change to a crossbow, i am a young hunter and i am using one now. i know some people say is takes away from the sport or whatever but i think it is just as fun. i am currently using the parker cyclone crossbow.