Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 trail cam locations on a trail >

trail cam locations on a trail

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

trail cam locations on a trail

Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Default trail cam locations on a trail

how do u angle a trail cam so i dont get pictures of nothing
Old 09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trail cam locations on a trail

Try to put the camera so that it is looking down the trail as much as possible. A bend in the trail should allow you to do this, or a tree that is very close to the trail.

You might also try to get the deer to stop in some way. You could try a scent or some type of food (if legal) to get them to stop.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, you might want to clear the little limbs that will trigger your camera when the wind blows. I had that happen a little while back and I got a ton of pic's of nothing....

In addition to that Bubba, try to set your camera so that the deer walk towards your camera rather than passing by it, some camera's have slower trigger speeds than others and this could come into play with a camera that has a slower trigger speed. Good luck with it!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:21 PM

I do find that throwing a little corn down helps slow them down. Doesn't have to be much. I only sprinkle about 10 lbs of corn down once a week. It visibly is gone in a day, but the critters will keep nosing around for days afterwards. Just enough to slow them down a little for the cam. I guess you do need to make sure that something like that is legal where you live.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you find a good trail put a Trophy Rock down. Deer love them and 1 lasts a long time. They'll stop to take a lick and your picture count should go up.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 AM

thanks, tuesday night i actually went back to check the pictures and i got tons of pics of nothing except for a small 6 pt, so i changed trees so that i get a lot of "passing by" and "walking to" shots...i checked it last night and had 12 pictures-and 3 were of a monster buck, a typical 13 with a split g2, and by golly he is a monster, but yes i will try to put some feed down on the trails, but now that i know hes there i am a little worried that me frequenting the woods on my 4wheeler in the daytime might make them wary of me (do u think i should stay away from the woods a bit?)
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend walking in to check your cameras and yes you need to let the woods rest,I don't like checking mine more than every 4 weeks or so. Also you need to share the pic's of that monster buck!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:08 PM

i do walk in to check it, but when i say my 4wheeler, i mean i drive it to the edge of the field from my house, and once i get next to the woods i walk in because the cameras a good 40 yards from the field...and believe me, i tried to put the pics on here but my dad lost the cords to do so, so the pics are saved on the camera itself and theres no way to get em on here