Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for a bait to use other than corn! Any suggestions?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a bait to use other than corn! Any suggestions?

I haven't looked at the prices of Sugar beets this year but they have been a staple for our feed piles for years. I usually would mix some corn in with them on the feed pile, maybe a few pumpkins and it seems to bring them in.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 AM

Recent threads leads me to believe you can use your truck

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

I think the "Trophy Rock" is nothing more than some harden minerals and salt made up to look like a rock and you simply place it on the ground and the deer are attracted to it.You can do the same thing with your own mixture of salt and minerals to draw deer to it and they will use it for many years if you refresh it every so often.I have put out the 20-30 lb feed blocks and poured the apple flavored "Buck Jam" over it and the deer like that a lot,it last longer and after the "Buck Jam" soaks into the ground the Deer are drawn toit for a long time too.I have taken the fallen apples off our tree's and thrown them out for the deer,a friend of mine has an old Pear tree behind his farm and the Deer love to eat them too!Oh yeah.......peanut butter,get a plastic jar of peanut butter,take the lid off,nail the plastic lid to a tree,cut the bottom off and screw it back onto the lid...Deer love it!
+1 on the PB. Cheap - and very effective.