Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Looking for a bait to use other than  corn! Any suggestions? >

Looking for a bait to use other than corn! Any suggestions?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for a bait to use other than corn! Any suggestions?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Default Looking for a bait to use other than corn! Any suggestions?

Please help!! I don' want to go broke buying corn!![8D]
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for a bait to use other than corn! Any suggestions?

How about acorns??? They prefer white oaks best...

They also like persimmons, grapes, apples, honeysuckle vines and a mulitiude of other natural food...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:14 PM

HAve thought about planting some diff. types of plants, even thought about raking up all the acorns in my yard this fall! Have been reading about 'Trophy Rock', What is it and where can it be found? Hunting in Stokes Co.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Spike

If you know anyone that has an apple tree, see if you can collect that apples that have fallen to the ground.

I also have a friend that said he uses a horse feed. He said he got good results and that it was cheaper than corn, and that was back when corn was a lot cheaper than it is now. I stopped in a store two days ago, and saw a 50 pound bag of corn for $11.50. Insane. I can't remember what I paid last year, but it was way cheaper than that. I used to go to a feed store out in the country a couple of years ago, and remember that corn was a lot cheaper out there that it was near the city. Might be worth making some calls and checking on some prices.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Fork Horn

I had some success last season with carrots and sugar beets. I'm not sure how the price compares to corn.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 PM

oats or rolled oats haven't checked prices but i don't believe its cheaper

apples such as BowHuntingAddict mentioned work well
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont "bait" deer, but forspring/summer trail cam fun (to see whats on the property), I used apples from my buddies apple trees, corn, and deer cane.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 PM

I'm like a lot of these folks making suggestions, I've been planting food producing trees for the past 6 years. It's a nice compliment to the food plots, etc - and this year I'm thankful we've been doing it. There are also great ways to plant honeysuckle and protect the root system that works really well as a feeding spot for deer.

Not sure about the rest of yall, but last year we bought 450lbs of protein pellets a week for our troughs (never hunted over) at $133 / week. This year the same purchase is a touch over $215. Corn seems to have tracked that too. Rough!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the "Trophy Rock" is nothing more than some harden minerals and salt made up to look like a rock and you simply place it on the ground and the deer are attracted to it.You can do the same thing with your own mixture of salt and minerals to draw deer to it and they will use it for many years if you refresh it every so often.I have put out the 20-30 lb feed blocks and poured the apple flavored "Buck Jam" over it and the deer like that a lot,it last longer and after the "Buck Jam" soaks into the ground the Deer are drawn toit for a long time too.I have taken the fallen apples off our tree's and thrown them out for the deer,a friend of mine has an old Pear tree behind his farm and the Deer love to eat them too!Oh yeah.......peanut butter,get a plastic jar of peanut butter,take the lid off,nail the plastic lid to a tree,cut the bottom off and screw it back onto the lid...Deer love it!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your not using an automatic feeder you might want to invest in one them, there alot cheaper to operate than a gravity type feeder.

Quick Reply: Looking for a bait to use other than corn! Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.