Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why I don't bait.... >

Why I don't bait....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why I don't bait....

Old 08-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Why I don't bait....

I sincerely hope this won't turn into a debate as to wheter to bait or not. That is not the intention, at all. Please don't let it go there.

"Flagellating a deceased equine" is the term that comes to mind.....and if it's legal in your aea....go for it.

It is legal in NC.....and the reason I don't do it is evident on the webcam thread. I'vewatched a few deer come into that thing.....and it's a classic baiting situation. They come in VERY skiddish. Its legal where I live....and there's a reason I don't hunt over it. It's easier to killdeer without it (WHERE I LIVE).
Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why I don't bait....

Good post GMMAT,I do have to somewhat agree with you on the part of deer becoming skitish. Deer do know htat corn does not belong in the woods and hey it wsant there all summer or winte, whys it there now???hmmm??? Not only that, too much bait, or feeders may and will causse deer to go noctournal. I have seen this over and over. This is why when I do use bait, which is very seldom anymore, I use it more as a treat for the deer than a drawing tool. Sure baiting is one of the best management tools we have, but we can accomplish the same thing by simply scouting an area, putting out cams in possible hot spots, planting food plots,and practicing simple patience. The buck I harvested last bow season was taken with only the aid of the Buck Growl. I was in the right spot at the right time and was proud to harvest such a great deer with nothing but skill, patience, and the know how. I think we can all achieve this as long as we set our minds to it. In a world where disease is slowly taken over our herds, do we really need to contribute to it? Yes I use to bait alot, and still do from time to time, but its not on a pile and heck you can hardley notice it if you walk into the woods as it is scattered around. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, that, and it's hard enough to shoot through the swingset and miss the sliding board. The legs on the feeder and the jungle gym would not give me a clear shot, on the merry-go-round side at ALL..

So now you know the rest of the story!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Where I hunt.....lol Thanks, GR8...

Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 08-02-2007, 05:53 AM

Good post, GMMAT. We all have our preferences and standards, but should not try to impose them on others, as long as their participation is within the law and rule of ethics. For example, I don't believe we should hunt deer with dogs, but it is legal and traditional in Virginia. I do believe in hunting birds with dogs, however. Baiting deer is legal and traditional in Florida, so I did it while there, but it is illegal in my home state of Maine, so I do not do it. I do not believe in hunting bears over bait, but it is legal and traditional in Maine, so those doing so get no public argument from me. If we think the legal and traditional practices used by others are improper, unethical or serve to damage the resource, then we should act on our beliefs, advocating and supporting change initiatives within the system. Any time one of us, or a group of us engage in a public debate, it serves to damage all of us.

Gerry
Old 08-02-2007, 05:58 AM
Bartender

Congrats your the millionth and one on baiting.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2229376&mpage=1&key=baiting& #2229556
Old 08-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Gerry.....

I appreciate your post....but that's not where I was headed with this. I don't want to debate the morlity/ethicality of baiting.

Probably a bad idea on my part......not your fault.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

I recently watched an episode of "the Spirit of the Wild" where uncle Ted received a letter asking him why he always hunts over bait and does he ever hunt with out it. He said no, we all hunt over bait. Whether it's a natural funnel, corn field, water hole, feeder, bedding area or trail. He said that all of these areas are places where we know deer will be and then we will ambush them. I'm not saying that I agree with Uncle Ted on this one but it does raise an interesting point. The definition of bait is "food used to entice fish or other animals as prey", so in that regard I think Ted is wrong, but I get what he is saying. I personally am not against baiting and im not saying that you are wrong, I respect your opinion. I just found that to be very interesting.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

My original post had nothing to do with the act of baiting. I was merely pointing out the deer's behavior when entering or approaching bait. The act itself wasn't in question.

Quick Reply: Why I don't bait....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.