Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting Started

Old 08-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Getting Started

thanks guys.. i do wear a full body harness.. and i was in the boyscouts so i'm freekish about my 1st aid kit.. even on light thunderstorms i get it out and handy.. it has a lighter matches etc. in it.. we have clothes wash at the house that we wash the hunting chlotes in multiple times.. then we line-dry them, rub them in pine needles put them in a new trash bag outdoors and then put pine needles in the bag. i havent gotten into the scent free toothpaste and crap before so thats new.. i need to get my personal Scent-Away too.

more to the list!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with superstrutter you need to buy some scent free spray. If you go to Academy they sell gravity feeders for $20 and it's harder to make one cheaper than that. Also, I would suggest to start buying some clothes right now, because it takes a while to build up a wardrobe.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

yeah i just got paid like 2 minutes ago.. so i'm headed there tomorrow probally
Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

ive been hunting for 13 years now on my own...they way ur talking is gettin me fired bout this season! scent control is a deff. must, make sure all ur weapons are sighted in and u have the proper ammo. get u some good camo and find the right pattern.i would invest in a good grunt call also. are u allowed to put out mineral licks or any kind of salt licks? a good all around knife. im sure u learned a lot from ur dad about hunting, but being on ur own and figure things out for urself is pretty cool too..u might be able to find a good hunting area ur dad might not know about! take ur time and be paitent with it all and pay attention to everything in the woods...find game trails, feeding areas, beding..etc do some exploring! there alot of good guys on thses forums that will answer any questions, good luck this yearand i hope smoke monster buck.. soon deer hunting for u will be 365 day past time for u
Old 08-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a picture of a deer feeder you might want to consider

PVC piping. Thats it.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

my grandpa has some old 4" laying around.. i can probally make what i need from him i'll see tomorrow...

i'm hoping i'll get a monster this year
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Spike

We used to make our feeders out of a 5 gallon plastic bucket, and about a 3 or 4 foot piece of that flexible black corrugated pipe. I wish I had a pic to share, but I never took any. Anyway, it was easy to make.

1. Flip the bucket upside down
2. Place the corrugated pipe on the center of the bucket and trace a circle around it.
3. Cut out the bottom of the bucket on the inside of the circle you just traced.
4. Make about 4 cuts on the end of the corrugated pipe that are a few inches long.
5. Push the cut end of the corrugated pipe up through the hole in the bottom of the bucket.
6. Bend the flaps over from where you made the cuts on the end of the corrugated pipe, and shoot a screw throught the flap to hold it in place.
Do this for each fo the 4 flaps.

That's it. The screws keep the flexible pipe from coming out of the bucket. Then you just screw a hook or a hanger in a tree at a height that will let the end of the pipe be a few inches off the ground when you hang the feeder on it. The bucket and pipe will hold about a 50 lb bag of corn. As the corn spills out of the bottom of the pipe it will spread a bit on the ground around the end of the pipe, but that will keep the corn from continuing to spill out of the pipe. Then as the deer eat the corn off of the ground, more corn will spill out of the pipe to replace what they have eaten. Oh, don't forget to put the lid back on the bucket after you fill it to keep the rain out. Hope that all makes sense. They are a piece of cake to make and only take a few minutes.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Thermacell !!!!!

if you are hunting enclosed blinds, you don't need camo for the most part. i find it quite hillarious when i watch hunting shows and see hunters in full camo sitting in a tower box blind looking through windows.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also don't forget to thank everyone who has made this opportunity possible to you.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

i forgot to add that to my have list.. i bought one at the palmetto deer classic =D

oh and i will.. espically after i shoot that big one