HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Getting Started (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/257468-getting-started.html)

MrPhotographer06 08-13-2008 09:07 AM

Getting Started

Howdy guys.. New to the site.. I'm 16 in SC and have been doing a little weekend hunting for about 3 years now. But now i want to get more serious about it. My best friends brother hunts about 1000 acres that he invited me to hunt with him this year. I own a mossberg 500, NEF pardner 20ga and a Hoyt bow. I've always hunted shotgun but most of the place were huntingyou need a rifle so a friend of mine has a 7mm-08 with a scope that my dads gunna get for 200 bucks. So I should be set gun wise to hunt. We also have two box blinds and a stand set up for bow down on a swamp near my house. I've always hunted at the same time as my dad so i've been able to use his stuff but this year i'll be hunting diffrent places. Gun season starts here on Sept. 1st so i need to get a list togeather for stuff i need all the way down to camo since i've outgrown all my camo.

MrPhotographer06 08-13-2008 09:31 AM

RE: Getting Started

also does anyone have any good ideas for making feeders?

MrPhotographer06 08-14-2008 07:29 AM

bump?

DannyD 08-14-2008 10:36 AM

MrP,
Since you have weekend hunted over the past few years and have only added the 7-08 and outgrew the camo then i would say all you need is new camo and some 7-08 shells.
Sight it in and go hunting.
Of course i'm assuming that since you hunted the last three years you have a lot of the essentials as far as flashlight, rope, knife, cleaning gloves, backpack etc.
It might be better if yiou list what you have and we can add to it.

MrPhotographer06 08-14-2008 11:35 AM

well now i'm hunting seperate from my dad and most of its his..

i have a
flash light
camo gloves
camo hat
rattling bag
boots
knife
misquito net
pretty much it..

timbercruiser 08-14-2008 04:44 PM

Quality scope.

lawson0207 08-15-2008 10:07 AM

if you plan on bow hunting out of the box blinds, you need a safety harness. Some of these can be purchased fairly cheap, or if you ask around, you may find someone who would give you one. for instance, i have 2...one which never gets used. I'd be glad to give to a friend.

If you have the gun and bow... then everything else is much cheaper. Stuff like

scents. If you need to go cheap on the camo...by some cheaper camo in a size large enough to get layered up on cold days.

MrPhotographer06 08-15-2008 10:17 AM

well the 7mm i'm going to look at tomorrow and get some pics of it.. i've got my bow.. if i had my hunting licence i could have gone hunting this morning i havent gone to get my licence yet.. but i've had my hunters ed (law in sc to have it) i just have my saltwater/freshwater fishing licence

usmc1978 08-16-2008 10:01 AM

You need some safety/survival gear. Don't take this lightly. No one thinks 'it' will happen to them, but if you asked everyone 'it' happened to, 'did you think that was gonna happen,' the answer is, of course, 'no.' Maybe you're as safe as can be, but what if some idiot shoots you? If you're depending on a cell phone, forget it. Ever try to stop arterial bleeding with a cell phone?

Here's some stuff you should have in your first aid kit:
a few band-aids
compression bandages
elastic bandages (for wrapping a turned ankle or knee)
maybe some adhesive tape
maybe some disinfectant
any medications you may require. Yeah, you plan on being home by nightfall, but what if you aren't?

You should also ALWAYS take some means of starting a fire. Waterproof matches, lighter, a chunk of a tapered candle, whatever.

Good luck.

Good luck.

superstrutter 08-16-2008 11:22 AM

You need to be asscent free as possible, especially when bow hunting. Go buy some scent free detergent(sport wash or HS detergent), scent free soap, and scent free deoderant. You can buy Arm & Hammer scent free deoderant a lot cheaper than the brand name scent free deoderants. You can get these at Walmart. Brush your teeth with baking soda. Get a good pair of rubber boots. I wear Muck boot. If you want to get a cheaper boot, Bogs or Lacross will do fine. Make sure you wash your clothes only in the scent free and UV brightener free detergent. I keep all of my hunting clothes in trash bags. They never come out unless I'm hunting. I can't stress how important it is to be as scent free as possible.Some will say just hunt the wind. That's not always possible. The wind can change direction in a heartbeat, so if you are scent free, you won't have to worry as much.