Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Rifled slugs in the smooth bore? >

Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Old 08-09-2008, 08:19 PM

Default Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

I bought an 870 combo it comes with both the rifled barrel has twists in it and a smooth bore barrel for turkeys and small game. I am new in the world of shotguns.

My question is I bought some Remington slugger rifled slugs thinking that I should use them for my rifled barrel with twists in it. However, when I read the box on the slugs it tells me NOT to use them in a demascus or rifle twisted barrel.

Should I keep these and just use and use them in the smooth bore barrel that was desinged for small game?

I really do NOT want to have to spend $12 for a box of 5 rounds compared to the $4 that I paid for these.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Guy at work has an 1100 with a rifled slug barrel. He shoots the cheap rifled slugs out of it and he says the accuracy is acceptable. He might only run 10 roundsthrough the 1100 tops a season. Healso cleans the barrel real well at the end of the season.

Bugs.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:45 PM

That won't wreck the rifled barrel? The warning on the box was very animate about it?????
Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

DON'T USE RIFLED SLUGS IN A RIFLED BARREL,USE SABOTED SLUGS

USE THE RIFLED SLUGS IN A SMOOTHBORE, CAN BE USED WITH A MODIFIEDCHOKE OR IMPROVED CYLINDER CHOKE. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE FULL CHOKE AS SOME ARE TOO TIGHT.

ALSO DON'T USE THE SABOTS IN A SMOOTHBORE, UNLESS YOUR USING A RIFLED CHOKE TUBE

slug technology has come a long way but all barrels shoot differently
so you may have to test a couple different brands to see which one your gun shoots the best. my 11-87 smoothbore shoots a 2 inch group at 100 yds using the cheap winchester 2 3/4 in. slugs through an improved choke tube.i'm happy with that !!!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:23 PM

So I can keep the same smooth bore rifle that I have for small game but I just have to get a new choke for it? I would be happy with 2 inch groups at 100 yards from a shot gun also since thisshotgun will be used for deep woods probably averaging only 50 yards or so.

I guess I will have to get some sabots tomorrow and worry about the special choke later. How much does a choke run me and is it rocket science to apply to the barrel?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Fork Horn

Shooting rifled slugs in a rifled barrel will not harm the barrel. It may lead it up a bit making cleaning difficult though. A rifled barrel does not improve the accuracy of rifled slugs so the rifling benefit is wasted. Another reason for the warning is that they make more profit on sabot slugs which DO get improved accuracy from a rifled barrel.

At 50 yards, a smooth bore with rifle sights, shooting plain old rifled slugs is more than accurate enough. Far more accurate than most people think. I have two 870's and I opt for the smooth bore partly because I am not willing to spend the money on the sabots. I may only shoot one round out hunting but I shoot at least 20 at the range. My last two shots in the field have each killed deer. Both were about 65 yard quartering shots, one towards me and the other away, both offhand. I hit both deer within an inch or two of where I was aiming so I have confidence in the gun and slug combination. I think that confidence is a big factor in accuracy, I do not second guess myself as I pull the trigger. (My range shooting also includes offhand practice.)

Rifle sights (or scope) on the barrel ARE important though. A bird bead may seem accurate at the range but that accuracy seems to fly away in the field when you are not aiming at paper.

Bob
Old 08-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

I did some serious testing from the bench last summer on this topic, bought about 10 different kinds of 5 paks... cleaned the gun after each 5 paks..let it cool down etc..the clear winner was the FEDERAL TRU_BALL by leaps and bounds in my smooth bore with a mod. choke installed... even with a 1-4 power scope they easily grouped out to 100 yards better than all the others.. If you can find them, which is not easy to do sometimes, give em a try.. BY the way, on game performance, no deer took a step once hit with one.. awesome..
Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 AM

I have a police 870, 18" barrel, cylinder bore, and bead sight. I'm good out to 50 yards with it shooting rifled slugs. 30 yards was the longest shot I've ever had to take with it. I'd like to get a DRS barrel for it, but with the type of hunting I do I can't justify the expense. Actually what I really want is an 1100 or a Benelli semi-auto.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dozen Arrows

I bought an 870 combo it comes with both the rifled barrel has twists in it and a smooth bore barrel for turkeys and small game. I am new in the world of shotguns.

My question is I bought some Remington slugger rifled slugs thinking that I should use them for my rifled barrel with twists in it. However, when I read the box on the slugs it tells me NOT to use them in a demascus or rifle twisted barrel.

Should I keep these and just use and use them in the smooth bore barrel that was desinged for small game?

I really do NOT want to have to spend $12 for a box of 5 rounds compared to the $4 that I paid for these.
Where did you buy the Remington slugger rifled slugs at ?
Maybe they would swap them for sabots.
Just an idea

I hope they will. Good Luck.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

A rifled barrel does not improve the accuracy of rifled slugs so the rifling benefit is wasted.

Bob
Really!? Your going to have to explain the theory behind that one to me. Any time you spin a projectile it will be more stable at longer distances. And the fins on a rifled slug don't actually impart any spin to the slug, they are there so the slug crushes and will fit through different sized chokes. They remain stable in flight because of the weight forward design, much like a shuttle cock in badmitten. They actually make foster slugs to be shot out of rifled barrels. I used to use Brenneke Gold Magnums.

I have owned both rifled barrels and smooth bores and shot various rifled slugs out of both. There is definitely an accuracy advantage with a rifled barrel over a smooth bore. My smooth bore was lucky to get 3 inch groups at 50 yards. My H&R ultra will clover leaf rifled slugs at 100 yards. Until the barrel fouls out that is, which is about 4 or 5 shots.

Shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel will not hurt it, it just makes one hell of a mess when you clean it. It will take you much longer to clean it as well. The advantage of the newer sabot rounds is they actually perform better on game and will have more range than a rifled slug. Most of the sabot rounds are controlled expansion type bullets designed for game, where as a rifle slug is just a huge chunk of lead pretty much. Also a 1 ounce 50 caliber bullet will be longer than a full bore 1 ounce slug so it should be more stable in flight and have a better BC I believe.

The rub is they are very expensive. This is why I went back to my muzzle loader. It is just as accurate (more accurate actually) and doesn't cost as much to shoot.

And don't expect 2 inch groups out of a smooth bore with foster slugs. Not saying it can't happen but it certainly is not the norm. Most can't get that kind of accuracy with a rifled barrel, premium sabot rounds and a scope.

Paul

Quick Reply: Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.