Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground? >

Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 AM

Default Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground?

I hunt state land in extreme northern minnesota where there is only big woods no farmland, no oak trees, only birch, aspenand various pine trees. So trying to figure out what the deer eat is a bit more difficult. ive heard that they love it when the loggers clear cuts but so do other hunters. Anytime there is a new clear cut theres atleast 3 or 4 stands in it in no time. And i dont like being able to wave to other hunters from my deer stand, id rather be alone.
I know of severel big cedar swamps that no body hunts at all. Ive heard that deer like to be in these swamps because its thick and probly see verry little hunting pressure, and ive also heard that they eat the buds and what not off of the cedar trees but dont know if thats true.Is it?

I think i want to start hunting in these big swamps because nobody else does, hoping the deer spend some time there but dont want to waste my time if they dont. I would think if there were so many deer in these swamps that more hunters would hunt them. But maybe they just hunt the clear cuts because theyre easierto get to. I'm not afraid of a long hike to a stand as long as i can get a way from the crowds and still see deer.

Are these swamps theirbedding area, feeding are, Both?

What should i do?
Anybody else hunt an area similar to this?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground?

I hunt Maine and spend more time in the cedar swamps than anywhere else.
It is their safe haven and they will spend most of their time there. It offers security as well as protection against nasty weather. Plus most hunters don't want to take the time going through that nasty stuff and the deer know it.

They also have some feed in there. Small green shoots, buds, plenty of water, etc but I have found they will travel out of the swamps in late afternoon in search of a food source. I have also found it is not too difficult locating trails and droppings, tracks, etc where the deer travel.

The problem is getting close enough so the deer don't realize it. They are in those thick, wet, nasty swamps for a reason. If you even attempt to penetrate their areas after they are there, you will get busted almost every single time. You have to either setup right there in the swamp well before dawn or try to cacth them moving to it from outside the swamp.

I would get in there and take a good hard, long look before the seaon opens, if that's possible. Scout within the swamp. From the results, you may find a place to setup which will offer sightings of deer activity. I would suspect your best advantage would be the first few hours after daylight when they travel to the security of the swamp, as well as late afternoon when they will begin leaving that area.

Let me put it this way Offshot, if I was hunting northern Minn with you, that's the absolute first placeI would focus my attention.

Good Luck to ya!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, deer really do live in cedar swamps.

Chances are that you can find some higher ground with a swamp. If you do, you'll find trails to and from. Get a stand location on one of those trails, not the higher ground, as that's a prime bedding spot. Catch them coming back and leaving the beds, like was said above.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy has a cabin in northern Wi in country like that. The fact is, most of the food is on the high ground during most of the deer season. newer clear cuts are food pantries, older clear cuts are bedding areas. As hunting pressure builds during the gun season and when it starts getting cold, the deer start using the swamps more. We don't see much for deer in those swamps in the earlier bow season. Gun season is a different story.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I LOVE hunting on the edges of cedar swamps, im hunting a major runway goin from there... they love swamps, like said above theres lots of cover, and also i think they like it in the summer time because its cooler and theres water in there... Winter time theres thick cedars to catch snow and so its not as cold and windy.. Just what i think...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt the swamps, lots of cover not much human pressure, and they spend a lot of time there.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Spike

I'd get in the hardest to reach area in the swamp you possibly can even if it means getting out the hip waders. If you can find some kind of food source while you're in there it'll make it even sweeter. Go till you're tired and then go some more. Not many hunters are willing to go through the trouble and the bucks know all the places that are a pain in the @$$ to get to. They're back in the nasty stuff that nobody wants to penetrate.