HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground?

I hunt Maine and spend more time in the cedar swamps than anywhere else.
It is their safe haven and they will spend most of their time there. It offers security as well as protection against nasty weather. Plus most hunters don't want to take the time going through that nasty stuff and the deer know it.

They also have some feed in there. Small green shoots, buds, plenty of water, etc but I have found they will travel out of the swamps in late afternoon in search of a food source. I have also found it is not too difficult locating trails and droppings, tracks, etc where the deer travel.

The problem is getting close enough so the deer don't realize it. They are in those thick, wet, nasty swamps for a reason. If you even attempt to penetrate their areas after they are there, you will get busted almost every single time. You have to either setup right there in the swamp well before dawn or try to cacth them moving to it from outside the swamp.

I would get in there and take a good hard, long look before the seaon opens, if that's possible. Scout within the swamp. From the results, you may find a place to setup which will offer sightings of deer activity. I would suspect your best advantage would be the first few hours after daylight when they travel to the security of the swamp, as well as late afternoon when they will begin leaving that area.

Let me put it this way Offshot, if I was hunting northern Minn with you, that's the absolute first placeI would focus my attention.

Good Luck to ya!