HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Offshootboy

Default Deer in cedar swamps or in high ground?

I hunt state land in extreme northern minnesota where there is only big woods no farmland, no oak trees, only birch, aspenand various pine trees. So trying to figure out what the deer eat is a bit more difficult. ive heard that they love it when the loggers clear cuts but so do other hunters. Anytime there is a new clear cut theres atleast 3 or 4 stands in it in no time. And i dont like being able to wave to other hunters from my deer stand, id rather be alone.
I know of severel big cedar swamps that no body hunts at all. Ive heard that deer like to be in these swamps because its thick and probly see verry little hunting pressure, and ive also heard that they eat the buds and what not off of the cedar trees but dont know if thats true.Is it?

I think i want to start hunting in these big swamps because nobody else does, hoping the deer spend some time there but dont want to waste my time if they dont. I would think if there were so many deer in these swamps that more hunters would hunt them. But maybe they just hunt the clear cuts because theyre easierto get to. I'm not afraid of a long hike to a stand as long as i can get a way from the crowds and still see deer.

Are these swamps theirbedding area, feeding are, Both?

What should i do?
Anybody else hunt an area similar to this?