Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pre-Season Scouting Help

Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Spike

Default Pre-Season Scouting Help

Hey Folks,

I just got back into deer hunting after taking several years off, so I am trying to relearn much of hat I used to know or depended on others to know for me. I may have the opportunity this year to hunt some new private land that a colleague of mine hooked me up with. I want to do a lot of pre-season scouting to get a feel for the land as well as find some ideal spots for stands. Up here in the North East, I know to keep an eye out for oak groves (especially white oaks) to keep an eye on theacorn yields. Also, there is a small stream that runs through the property, so I have been thinking of setting up along thestream bed,as I think I recalldeer using the streambeds as trails.

Any other suggestions or tips for scouting? It is in the middle of summer, sosign is hard to see and the visibility will changedrastically when the leaves come down, but there is a lot to learn from the land before opening day in a few months.

Best Regards,

-Reiksguard
Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 PM

Default RE: Pre-Season Scouting Help

Hey Reiksguard,

Pick up a few cheap game cams and put them out on the land at funnels and pinch points. Move them around to get the gist of what's on the land. When you get some good pics then post them so we can all BS about them!

P
Old 07-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Spike

Thanks Pierce - that is a good idea. When you say "cheap", what price range?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put on a pair of rubber boots and do some walking. It is hard to comment, not knowing the land, but there are some things you can be looking for. First is food source, water source and their relation to the bedding areas that the deer may be using. Look for funnels where the deer will travel from food source to bedding areas. Check the predominate wind direction (for your hunting time period), and see what effects it may have on your hunting area. Wind direction will also have an effect on where you enter the property. Time in now will pay dividends later.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Spike

Are the rubber boots for not leaving a scent?