Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question

Old 07-21-2008, 08:03 PM
8mm
Typical Buck

Default Question

i put out a salt block an so corn over the weekend an i put my trail cam out about 10 to 15 feet from it well i went an checked it today an i didnt have anything on my cam an the corn was still theway i left it i have never put bait out so is it that they aint found it yet
Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question

Could be that there is a lot of other food sources in your area that the deer prefer at this time of year. Last winter there was a big acorn crop and the deer wouldn't hardly sniff corn. Give it a week or two and then check it again, strange that the coons, squirrels, birds and other critters havn't found it.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you put it where you see they travel alot? I try to set my rocks at fence crossings or other main travel routes. They'll stop if they come to it.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give it time. Why did you put the camera up so soon after putting the corn out? They are probably stillfreaked out about you being in there. They will eventually find it. There are no acorns yet, so they will hit it. They are feeding now on soft mast and plants. Once the acorns start falling, especially the white oaks, they will eat very little corn.I usually won't put a camera on corn until two or three weeks after they have found it. If you have a feeder, you need to let them get used to it before going in with a camera.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Give it time. Why did you put the camera up so soon after putting the corn out? They are probably stillfreaked out about you being in there. They will eventually find it. There are no acorns yet, so they will hit it. They are feeding now on soft mast and plants. Once the acorns start falling, especially the white oaks, they will eat very little corn.I usually won't put a camera on corn until two or three weeks after they have found it. If you have a feeder, you need to let them get used to it before going in with a camera.
I think it depends on the situation. I've had no problems putting corn and a camera out and getting pictures right away. In some locations, it may take a few days for themto find the corn, but most of the time, the deer will be visiting the bait sight in less than 24 hours and getting their picture taken. Maybe it's because my farm is a working farm and the deer are used to a lot of human intrusion already.

I check my cam once a week and right now I'm only leaving about 15-20 pounds of corn out when I swap memory cards. The corn will be gone in 1-2 days.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 8mm

i put out a salt block an so corn over the weekend an i put my trail cam out about 10 to 15 feet from it well i went an checked it today an i didnt have anything on my cam an the corn was still theway i left it i have never put bait out so is it that they aint found it yet
Need to put it in a high travel area an give them a weekor two to find it.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:23 PM
8mm
Typical Buck

ok cool thank u all for ur input