Thank You jrbsr" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How Do You Build A Deer Camp ? >

How Do You Build A Deer Camp ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Do You Build A Deer Camp ?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How Do You Build A Deer Camp ?

ORIGINAL: mideerslayer

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

We have as "old fashioned" a deer camp as they come...as far as time goes. My dad bought 400 acres in the mid 60's ($5300 total) and it had 3 houses on it. He chose one to be our "cabin". It was the best suited of the three...maybe not the nicest, but the best suited. One house was about 3000 sq ft with 6 bedrooms, but heating would be a gigantic issue in a place of that size. Our cabin is about 1000 sq ft, one floor.

We began to fix the place up on the late 70's...adding indoor plumbing, better heat, insulation where possible, a building for skinning/boning meat, etc.

Now it has all the ammenities of home...TV, microwave, 10 beds, big front porch.

As far as hunting goes...it's pretty much been the same 6-8 guys since 1980. We have no steadfast rules...but we're dealing with people that we've been hunting with for years. They just know what to do.

They chip in $100 each for the food, bring their own beer if they wish, and that's pretty much it. They also help fix anything that is broken...and so fourth. One guy brought his roofing crew down a few years ago and re-roofed the entire place at no cost. Things like that are not forgotten.

I am a teacher, so I have all summer off. We also spend a great deal of time there in the "off months" mowing, brush hogging, cleaning, etc. My wife and kids love it.

The guys mentioned above are our "gun season" crew. Personally, I spend about 20X the hours bowhunting than I do hunting with a gun. When it comes to bowhunting, I'm pretty much on my own. My cousins hunt a little with abow, but usually it's just me on the land.
that is a deer camp right there the others sound like deer "club's"

x2!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: mideerslayer

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

We have as "old fashioned" a deer camp as they come...as far as time goes. My dad bought 400 acres in the mid 60's ($5300 total) and it had 3 houses on it. He chose one to be our "cabin". It was the best suited of the three...maybe not the nicest, but the best suited. One house was about 3000 sq ft with 6 bedrooms, but heating would be a gigantic issue in a place of that size. Our cabin is about 1000 sq ft, one floor.

We began to fix the place up on the late 70's...adding indoor plumbing, better heat, insulation where possible, a building for skinning/boning meat, etc.

Now it has all the ammenities of home...TV, microwave, 10 beds, big front porch.

As far as hunting goes...it's pretty much been the same 6-8 guys since 1980. We have no steadfast rules...but we're dealing with people that we've been hunting with for years. They just know what to do.

They chip in $100 each for the food, bring their own beer if they wish, and that's pretty much it. They also help fix anything that is broken...and so fourth. One guy brought his roofing crew down a few years ago and re-roofed the entire place at no cost. Things like that are not forgotten.

I am a teacher, so I have all summer off. We also spend a great deal of time there in the "off months" mowing, brush hogging, cleaning, etc. My wife and kids love it.

The guys mentioned above are our "gun season" crew. Personally, I spend about 20X the hours bowhunting than I do hunting with a gun. When it comes to bowhunting, I'm pretty much on my own. My cousins hunt a little with abow, but usually it's just me on the land.
that is a deer camp right there the others sound like deer "club's"

x2!
X3! deer camp is suppost to be fun. Not a bunch of rules. But we had our elk camp on public land so ours was different than one on private land.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Fork Horn

A deer camp could be a motel you stay at with your huntin pards. It is the people and the reason that you are together.

That being said, there is nothing like a wood heated, gasoline lit, log cabin. It made a great place to BS while were drying out after a very rainy opener last year. You can see that it was still very light outside when this picture was taken. We quit by ten a.m. That is a white gas table lamp in the picture. You can see part of the stove at the lower right.

Bob

Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

A deer camp could be a motel you stay at with your huntin pards. It is the people and the reason that you are together.

Amen to that! I May not be fortunate to have a deer camp (Yet!) but anytime Im gun hunting, even if I stay in a motel, Im at deer camp. I think as long as you are with Family and/or friends together hunting, eating, shooting the breeze and tossing back a few beers, no matter where your at motel, cabin or tent, its considered hunting camp. I'd much rather be in a cabin int the woods, but until that time comes, a hotel will be my "Hunting camp".