Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Favorite Method of Deer Hunting...What' s yours? >

Favorite Method of Deer Hunting...What' s yours?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Favorite Method of Deer Hunting...What' s yours?

Old 03-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Favorite Method of Deer Hunting...What' s yours?

Whats your favorite way to hunt deer? I haven' t been doing it too long, and I have only hunted from the ground. I bought a tree stand in January along with a bow, and I can' t wait to use ' em
Old 03-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Favorite Method of Deer Hunting...What' s yours?

I much prefer being on the ground and mobile. While I do have a number of stands, I rarely use them for deer anymore. I have really gotten into to spot and stalks as well. But for whitetails I prefer being on the gound and deep in the transition areas. One of my favorite techniques is rattling and calling.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:26 PM

I' ve hunted both ways. In a tree I think you can see them alot further so you can be readya little sooner but I' ve been hunting more on the ground because the main reason is that my daughter goes with me all the time. this year I' m going to try hunting bears on the ground this year.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is true the Margin for error can be higher in a stand and it well allow you to see further in most cases. When bow hunting most see it as being better for shot opportunities, due being out of the small twigs area. I on the other hand find when I am in tree I get almost lazy and feel stuck. I hate setting up, with all the racket hang ons make. I can' t use climbers in most of my area due to smooth barked trees and small diam. to boot. Wind change is almost gauranteed while hunting in sept and oct here, so one minute perfect, next minute no so. It really depends on your situation I think and maybe even confidence level. I use to mostly bow hunt from a tree stand and now I don' t hardly do so. Also pressure, where I hunt it is rare to ever see (other than my buddies) bowhunting the same area. So the deer seem to behave much like non pressured summer patterns, at least in early part of the season.

I won' t say that a treestand isn' t nice, just seem to be more of a ground hunter in most cases now.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

I' d have to say my favorite way to hunt is from a treestand. I did hunt from the ground the last month of this past season and I did begin to like that too. It is more difficult since you have to watch your movement and scent control more. I did like having the ability to be more mobile, but I can stay sitting longer while in a treestand. They both have their advantages and disadvantages so definitely try both. I know I' m going to try hunting from the ground more this year.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as I`m hunting, I`m having fun! My favorite would have to be hanging 25' up a tree, holding onto a stick and string.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:09 AM

My favorite way of hunting deer is with my father. He is getting up there in age and isn' t able to get out on his own. He enjoys just sitting in a treestand I built for him and watching every little animal that comes around.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:50 AM

In my younger years I couldn' t stand to sit for long so I stillhunted about 90% of the time and sat on the ground about 10%.As I reached the middle years it was about 50/50 between standing and stillhunting and I started getting off the ground so ground scent wouldn' t build up so bad on multiple stand visits.Now as I hunt after 40 years I sit treestands 90% of the time near bedding and staging areas or in funnels or on rub lines,and stillhunt about 10% of the time moving between the treestands.Killed bucks on the ground,moving thru the woods,and out of trees,all methods are effective if you are hunting where the deer are and watch the prevailing wind direction and shoot accurately.

woods
Old 03-04-2003, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the time I was about 14 years old (I' m 51 now) I dog hunted in South Bama with hounds. Then about 5 years ago when it got too expensive to lease enough land to hound hunt about 10 of us broke off and formed a still hunting club with about 4000 acres leased. I see a lot more deer still hunting (could probably have shot over a hundred if I had of wanted to this year), but if it was possible I would still be loading up my dog box.

Quick Reply: Favorite Method of Deer Hunting...What' s yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.