Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need input - Here's the scenerio.... >

Need input - Here's the scenerio....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need input - Here's the scenerio....

Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need input - Here's the scenerio....

I would Google Earth the area first. Locate the water, swamps, streams, etc. Find the thickest wooded area where the does are likely to be. Find funnels. Try to find easy access paths, logging roads, etc. Look what you have. Perhaps youl will find a couple of spots where to start. Think about the dominant winds in the area as well.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with some of the posts. I would look for multiple "fresh" deer trails. Hopefully they have some scraps along the way.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:27 AM

I was raised hunting on that kind of land. Your absolutely most productive places will be a swamp with a hill next to it. The deer will pass in front of the swamp at the base of the hill. You will see the deer paths like walking paths. Look for a place where two main paths join each other to go in front of the swamp and then hunt the spot where they join.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: savage3006

I would Google Earth the area first. Locate the water, swamps, streams, etc. Find the thickest wooded area where the does are likely to be. Find funnels. Try to find easy access paths, logging roads, etc. Look what you have. Perhaps youl will find a couple of spots where to start. Think about the dominant winds in the area as well.

Good luck.
Google earth is the best way to go. It's amazing how much time you can save on that and figure where deer will go on bordering properties. I may have access to a new piece of property 5 hours away. It will cost to much for me to get down there and scout more than once so I will be studying maps more than anything.

Id say just find the funnels and where runways meet each other and start there. After a day or two if it doesn't pay off, re-evaluate your plan, talk anyone who has harvested deer and see what they did to harvest a deer. With 10 or so deer per square mile near the rut, if you can find the does, the bucks will be soon to follow.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats how it is up here in maine. even less deer that 10/sq. mile actually! i highly doubt you will find any trails, big woods deer dont really have travel routes. they kinda meander around and feed on browse. def most def hunt from the ground. still hunt the area. we have really good luck still hunting around fresh cut offs and water sources. use the still hunting as a scouting method for a few days. you should jump some bucks and be able to figure out where they wanna head for when you jump the out. then just have a guy settin thee ready to shut the lights out when the ol big boy comes through the next time.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM

If the peak of the rut is 10 days away, you need to just find a well used trail (or intersection), or a good funnel. This will be the time when the bucks are cruising lookin for the first hot does. Rattling and grunting will also could prove very effective.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

An aerial of thick woods won't be a lot of help to you. A good topo will be of help showing streams, wetlands, often old roads. A few days of pre season scouting will be more help than anything..
Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

timbercruiser - In my original post I stated I have only one day to scout so I don't have that luxury to preseaon scout for a few day. I do agree with you on the topo. I have topo maps of every area I hunt which are also in different states.

skybuster - You hit the nail on the head because I am talking about Maine. Most folks that hunt big woods, especially the kind of woods that Maine has, don't truly realize how much different it can be.
Most hunters look for feeding areas and bedding areas and the trails or runways that lead to both. That's very difficult to do in big woods because the deer can feed and bed anywhere in the woods. He does not have to travel far from both. Plus the thick woods and cedar swamps offer much needed security.

I will walk the logging roads near thick, nasty cover and scout from there. I will also check natural funnels, which were also mentioed. Good advice.
I also need to check for any oak ridges (white oak preferred) for heavy mast. I was told these woods have very low deer hunting pressure so having other hunters move the deer may not exist.

I always ask myself...If I was a deer, where would I spend my time.
I also believe that deer, no matter what state or province they live, all do similar 'deer things'.
I have found over the years that my best place to start are areas that show old/new dropping and work from there. At least I know deer are spending time there.

Sometimes I wish it was easier....then again that's what being a successful deer hunters is all about.
Scouting an area and taking all the information to decide where to setup or what kind of technique to use.
I will decide whether to hunt from the ground, hunt from my self climber or still hunt based on the results of my scouting.

Thick, nasty woods - wet, thick, nasty swamps - old tote roads - alders so thick you can't walk through -yep, that's Maine.At least the parts I spend my time hunting.

Thanks to all for your input. I do appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Spike

I would use a topo and locate a swampy area and in that area look for brown ash trees.The bucks in Maine seem to like making rubs on those trees.I have seen where they rub the same tree every year.Brown ash grows in damp,wet areas.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Concentrate on saddles between ridges and streams or swampy areas to help narrow deer activity / directions of deer travel, some of this may lead to some rubs.
If you find some rub lines, look specifically for the sign post rubs (trees that have been rubbed year after year).
In Maine / NH, etc. deer populations are not that large, as your example explained, so patience is key.
You may want to stick to a specific area or two (am/pm hunts) and after 2-3 days, re-evaluate it's productivity?
Many successful hunters will need 2-3 years to figure an area out, so 1 week isn't very long when you look at this scenario.

Is this hunt in NH, if so email me, as I have hunted many parts of the state and may be able to help you out?