Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Uner this scenerio....now what? >

Uner this scenerio....now what?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Uner this scenerio....now what?

Old 10-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Uner this scenerio....now what?

This happened last Sun while bow hunting in NH. As I was leaving the woods, I camethru some nasty, thick alders. Just as I was about to exit, I stopped to gather my surroundings and check my compass. Before I made any movement, I picked up motion about 60-70 yds. away. After studying it for a moment, I made out the neck and head of a big deer and when it took a step, I immediately saw 8-10 points. It was a blustery day with the wind in my favor and I was certain the deer did not know I was there. Just as I was thinking about my next move, up went the tail and off went the deer. Had the deer stayed in that area and was unaware of my presence, what would you have done. Please keep in mind it is bow season. Would you have tried to get closer or tried to call him in for a shot, or simply waited to see what he did before making your move?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:22 PM

Default RE: Uner this scenerio....now what?

I would have waited to see what his intensions were. This would also have given me time to settle down.

Calling would have definately been an option as I always take a call with me. Especially given that you were (I assume) fairly hidden. Alot of times it is best to wait.

Good Hunting
Old 10-07-2003, 02:12 PM

got me, who_else
Old 10-07-2003, 02:23 PM

Since the buck bolted before you did anything the wind was wrong and there really isn' t anything you could have done.

If the deer had appeared to be moving in your general direction I' d let him keep coming. If he' s moving away try a grunt or bleat. I' ve tried to stalk deer from behind.. they never seem to catch me.. but they move faster than I can move quietly and I usually can' t keep up.

If you think you know where the deer is going and you can circle ahead of him without being detected that would be worth a shot to.

This was a gorgeous weekend to be out in NH. I was just south of Jaffrey myself and saw 3 deer.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:36 PM

Man that would have frustrated the crap out of me!

Well... I would have staid completely still to first see what the deer intentions were i.e. move in my direction, stay still, or move off.

Also to give it a change to see if it does infact sence me/somthing. Once I was comfortable with the location, wind and the deers temperment I would more than like likey try to move in a little at a time or with in bow range.

I would use the call to assist but more than likely if it heard me and to keep in interested in the area at the moment.

Sounds alot easier than it really is. You may have not spooked the deer at all, may be there was a preditor you did see or smell?

Good luck