HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need input - Here's the scenerio....
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need input - Here's the scenerio....

timbercruiser - In my original post I stated I have only one day to scout so I don't have that luxury to preseaon scout for a few day. I do agree with you on the topo. I have topo maps of every area I hunt which are also in different states.

skybuster - You hit the nail on the head because I am talking about Maine. Most folks that hunt big woods, especially the kind of woods that Maine has, don't truly realize how much different it can be.
Most hunters look for feeding areas and bedding areas and the trails or runways that lead to both. That's very difficult to do in big woods because the deer can feed and bed anywhere in the woods. He does not have to travel far from both. Plus the thick woods and cedar swamps offer much needed security.

I will walk the logging roads near thick, nasty cover and scout from there. I will also check natural funnels, which were also mentioed. Good advice.
I also need to check for any oak ridges (white oak preferred) for heavy mast. I was told these woods have very low deer hunting pressure so having other hunters move the deer may not exist.

I always ask myself...If I was a deer, where would I spend my time.
I also believe that deer, no matter what state or province they live, all do similar 'deer things'.
I have found over the years that my best place to start are areas that show old/new dropping and work from there. At least I know deer are spending time there.

Sometimes I wish it was easier....then again that's what being a successful deer hunters is all about.
Scouting an area and taking all the information to decide where to setup or what kind of technique to use.
I will decide whether to hunt from the ground, hunt from my self climber or still hunt based on the results of my scouting.

Thick, nasty woods - wet, thick, nasty swamps - old tote roads - alders so thick you can't walk through -yep, that's Maine.At least the parts I spend my time hunting.

Thanks to all for your input. I do appreciate it.