Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO? >

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

I think that they can pretty consistently clear a five or six foot fence. My family back in Illinois generally have to get the fences around there gardens much higher to make sure the deer stay out. Another issue is that deer can squeeze under some incredibly small spaces under fences. So, i would really like to know how effectively one could actually high fence a really big ranch.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, the fences on our leases are 4'-5', designed to keep the cattle in. Deer jump them almost as if they're not even there. If you've got feeders or food plots on your land (as most places in Texas do), the wild pig population will dig holes under the fences to get to the food.

Unfortunately, people are fencing smaller and smaller places. I don't have any problem at all with fencing 10,000 acres, as I think the deer still have more than enough places to run and hide. But, I've seen ads for game-fenced ranchettes that are under 200 acres, and my personal opinionis that that's too small.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldnt even classify fenced for cattle as fenced. That's just normal hunting ground for most folks. As far as i know, the high-fenced operations in the Midwest are pretty much all measured in the hundreds of acres, not the thousands, so there's not much debate about it here.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting that in another thread you talk about the fun of sitting around with a case of beer and a .22 to shoot raccoons, but you get all sanctimonious about shooting deer on a 10,000 acre fenced ranch. Drinking a case of beer while handling a loaded weapon is worse than "shameful and cowardly".
[/quote]
If you stay in Texas your whole life and I never meet you I'll be a happy man. I had a long hateful post written to you in one of those other ones you where arguing about but deleted it to stop this cycle somewhere. But I can't do it. You are ignorant as they come. Shooting deer in a pen is waaaaaaaaaaay more cowardly than waiting for a WILD VARMINT to walk up and destroy your crops and shoot him. If I wanna drink a few cold beers while I'm waiting on a raccoon to walk up and get my trash, I'll do it. You might not be able to responsibly do this, you may be an alcoholic lunatic that doesn't know when to stop. But I myself can have 3 or 4 and stop without being an idiot. It's called moderation. It's my choice, I'll do it. I do not nor will I ever drink while actually hunting deer, turkeys, doves, or anything where another person or myself could be harmed or where I'm actually trying to think and hunt. Waiting on a coon that messes up your crops isn't hunting. It's more like a game. In a responsible setting with a responsible MAN, it can be done.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

I think the issue is there are 1000's more 500 acre high fenced places than 10,000 acre places. AND, its not just Texas, its all over.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

That seems to be the case, but everytime canned hunting comes up, some folks start talking about high fenced ranches the size of Rhode Island. I'm just curious as to how many operations like that actually exist.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

Interesting that in another thread you talk about the fun of sitting around with a case of beer and a .22 to shoot raccoons, but you get all sanctimonious about shooting deer on a 10,000 acre fenced ranch. Drinking a case of beer while handling a loaded weapon is worse than "shameful and cowardly".
If you stay in Texas your whole life and I never meet you I'll be a happy man. I had a long hateful post written to you in one of those other ones you where arguing about but deleted it to stop this cycle somewhere. But I can't do it. You are ignorant as they come.
Ignorant? Why? Because I don't view 15 square miles inside a fence as a "pen" or a "cage"? And, why a "hateful post"? Seems to me grown-ups should be able to argue points logically. I've got no problem with you being opposed to high fencing. If you don't like it, don't do it. Problem solved. Calling people "ignorant", or "cowards" or whatever, doesn't help you argument. It simply makes it look as though you're unable to come up with rational points, so you resort to ad hominum attacks.

Shooting deer in a pen is waaaaaaaaaaay more cowardly than waiting for a WILD VARMINT to walk up and destroy your crops and shoot him.
I've got no problem at all with you shooting a wild varmint that's destroying your crops. I never suggested that doing so was cowardly or anything else.

If I wanna drink a few cold beers while I'm waiting on a raccoon to walk up and get my trash, I'll do it. You might not be able to responsibly do this, you may be an alcoholic lunatic that doesn't know when to stop. But I myself can have 3 or 4 and stop without being an idiot. It's called moderation. It's my choice, I'll do it.
I may be an alcoholic lunatic as you suggest. Or, I may be someone who doesn't drink at all. I view people who drink and shoot about the same as I view people who drink and drive. If you want to drink after you're back at camp, and have your weapon stowed, fine. I don't care a bit. But, during? Sorry. I view that as something worse than "ignorant".

I do not nor will I ever drink while actually hunting deer, turkeys, doves, or anything where another person or myself could be harmed or where I'm actually trying to think and hunt. Waiting on a coon that messes up your crops isn't hunting. It's more like a game. In a responsible setting with a responsible MAN, it can be done.
See, this is where we differ. I don't view drinking while in possession of a loaded weapon as being "responsible". Ever. Regardless of whether you're a MAN or not.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 2 high fence scenarios. Yes or NO?

ORIGINAL: texas8point

I think the issue is there are 1000's more 500 acre high fenced places than 10,000 acre places. AND, its not just Texas, its all over.

Here in FLthe real high fences are on Exotic ShootingPreserves, which I don't really care for and never will! I have no desire to shoot an Ostrich. The don't fit in the oven like turkeys do!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 AM

I have to agree.....drinking and firearms do not mix.....ever. In the field or on the range, it's just an accident waiting to happen.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2 high fence scenarios. Yes or NO?

No kidding rebel.....i have no desire to shoot a zebra or an ostrich.......not that i care if someone wants to......
I'd love to see a nice ostrich mount. Can you score an ostich ? maybe if they have like a 24 inch neck ! Ha Ha Ha......

Quick Reply: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.