Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO? >

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

High fencing in either situation is no good. I mean from the business end, I can see where someone would raise deer like cattle and sell them to the highest bidder. BUTTTT, from an ethical, natural, sportingstand point I think
the fences should come down and the surprise and excitement should be partly due to the unknown and not limited to whats on a spreadsheet or a game camera.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 2 high fence scenarios. Yes or NO?

Most all of Florida's WMA's have a 5' hog wire fencearound Millions of acres....The 7 and 8' fences are around the Interstates and Parkways that come across a WMA.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most folks that put a 5 foot fence around their garden to keep the deer out end up having to buy their vegetables at the gorcery store
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Omarrh,

Have you checked into some of the local hunting organizations to get involved in some hunting leases or to learn about access to public land. I know that Turkeys Unlimited is pretty active over by Naples and Bonita Springs.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM

What cracks me up is the guy that comes on here and says he would absolutley not hunt in a high fenced in area no matter what size, but will climb up in his tri-pod stand and shoot a deer 5 minutes after his feeder gets done spraying corn all over the place. They may be in free roaming areas, but are they any different than the high fenced deer? They are conditioned to go to the location of the feeder at certain times of the day. To me neither are sporting..... Give me the Adirondacks...now thats wild, wide open country.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are in a scenario where you have to agonize over which of the several trophy sized bucks standing 30 yards from you that you want to shoot, then something is probably not kosher, not matterr what the setting.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people on thisforumn never ceases to amaze me. I am not up for a canned hunt in any manner what so ever, but for some people on here to say that hunting a multi-thousand acre ranch is canned is unbelieveable.My thought has been that unless you try something and have first hand knowledge ofwhat your talking about, you should leave your opinion out of the conversation.That being said, i have been in south texas hunting on two different occasions. Once hunting whitetail on a nonfenced ranch. I did not harvest an animal although i saw plenty. The deer showed up on the corned roads every day, i just never saw one that i wanted to shoot. The second time was anaxis/fallow deer hunt that took place on a multi-thousand acrehigh fence ranch. There were certainsitswhere i never saw an animal let along shoot one. For those of you who think that mega acre high fence ranches are as easy as picking out a deer and shooting him, getoff your high horse,experience it once and then comment on it.
As for the farming of game animals,an animal that is behind a fence for whatever reason, being fed the best food any different that a hunter who goes out and plantsacres of food plots, creates water sources, and creates mineral licks? I know that one will say"yeah but the animal has a choice not to eat it" I agree, but theintent is still the same, to provide the animals with better forageso they can grow larger racks for the hunter to put on his wall.
If seeing both situations first hand and seeing the truth, drawing myown conclusions from the experiencesand thinking that huntinga multi thousand acre ranch can be ahunt makesme less of a hunter, well i guess i suck and ill start listeningmore to all the so called experts on this board. Let the bashing begin.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

these guys are killing huge deer that have nowhere to run and hide.
Are you saying that on a 10,000 acre high-fence ranch, a deer has nowhere to run and hide?
If they were good enough hunters they wouldn't be there in the first place. And if they were more appreciative of what God has given them in hunting and the outdoors, they would be content with the animals they harvest. Bottomline, natural habitats and natural unaltered geneticswere notgood enough for their wallsat home, so they put up a high fence and started stocking the "compound" withwhatever kinda deer they want kill. Don't try to justify it to me, it's shameful and cowardly.
Interesting that in another thread you talk about the fun of sitting around with a case of beer and a .22 to shoot raccoons, but you get all sanctimonious about shooting deer on a 10,000 acre fenced ranch. Drinking a case of beer while handling a loaded weapon is worse than "shameful and cowardly".
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many enormous ranches in Texas, or anywhere else, are actually enclosed by fences that will keep deer in?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many enormous ranches in Texas, or anywhere else, are actually enclosed by fences that will keep deer in?
Not sure. I hunt a low fenced ranch in the Texas Hill Country, but drive past a couple high fenced places on the way in. At least where I am, there's a lot more low fenced stuff than high. And, I've heard (although I'd really have to see it to believe it), if they really want to, deer are capable of clearing a 7-8' "game proof fence". If that is, in fact, the case, then the answer to your question is, none.

Quick Reply: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.