Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To stop a deer in its tracks

Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM

Default To stop a deer in its tracks

Without resorting to a head or neck shot, where do you aim to drop a deer in its tracks?

I am directing this more towards shotgun hunters. So far, every whitetail deer I have shot has run after the shot. Rifle shots seem to drop them always on the hunting shows that I watch. Double-lung shots are what I have always taken. They never get too far. But I wonder if there is still a better place I can aim, like for the shoulders or heart.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: To stop a deer in its tracks

I hunt with a rifle, but of the 7 or 8 deer i've shot only 2 have dropped in their tracks, a chest shot on a deer that was facing me (through the sternum) and a shot through both shoulders, but that one ruined more meat than i would have liked. I've hit a deer w/ my 30.06 in the heart and she still ran 30 or 40 yards, i dont think any shot besides the spine is guaranteed to drop a deer, they are tough critters. I prefer to aim low and behind the shoulder, good chance at lungs and/or heart and the low entry and exit wounds provide a good blood trail. hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

4" below the back line, dead even with the front legs. When struck there, you will break both shoulders and the spine and neck all come together there. Every Deer I have shot this way has dropped as if some reached in from behind and pulled every bone out of its body! They literally drop right there.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Remnard

4" below the back line, dead even with the front legs. When struck there, you will break both shoulders and the spine and neck all come together there. Every Deer I have shot this way has dropped as if some reached in from behind and pulled every bone out of its body! They literally drop right there.
they go down quick on this shot!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like stated previously you can hit them a bit farther forward and higher and break them down. I hit my buck this year high and broke his back. I wasn't far enough forward to kill him right off so I ended up walking up and putting him down.

Shotgun slugs, at least the sabot I use, have plenty of knockdown power under 150 yards. I would think the traditional style slug would have more at closer ranges but loose some out farther (plus the acuracy goes away)

I'm like you though I plan for a double lung shot. I bowhunt and have trained myself this way. Hard to break that habit. On my buck I unintetionaly hit him a bit high but it did prove the point to me that I need to aim different with a gun.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 AM

Right below the spine stops them instantly.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Remnard

that's the money shot- I have dropped alot of bucks with this one. Even bucks being ran with dogs running full speed across a clearcut, they won't take another step guaranteed....
Old 05-14-2008, 02:54 PM

High shoulder is your best bet if you can't afford to have them run. Not a guarantee, but it gives you better odds. I usually take lung shots though and like you my deer always run for a ways before they pile up.

My honest opinion is a heart lung shot will kill them faster, but a shoulder shot will usually drop them. Remember just because it falls doesn't mean it's dead, just immobile. End result is usually the same though. Just like shooting a person in the hip. They will hit the ground for sure, but they won't really die until they bleed to death.

Paul
Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 PM

I'm like you though I plan for a double lung shot. I bowhunt and have trained myself this way. Hard to break that habit. On my buck I unintetionaly hit him a bit high but it did prove the point to me that I need to aim different with a gun.
The high-shoulder shot will drop them,but wastes a lot of meat.

Double-lung a deer with a slug and it's not hard to find anyway...
Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Other than a spinal shot, the double shoulder is about the only thing close to a guarantee. Wastes too much meat for me! I don't mind a double lung shot and a short blood trail! Vertually zero meat loss!

Quick Reply: To stop a deer in its tracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.