Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To stop a deer in its tracks

Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To stop a deer in its tracks

ORIGINAL: Matt_M

Without resorting to a head or neck shot, where do you aim to drop a deer in its tracks?

I am directing this more towards shotgun hunters. So far, every whitetail deer I have shot has run after the shot. Rifle shots seem to drop them always on the hunting shows that I watch. Double-lung shots are what I have always taken. They never get too far. But I wonder if there is still a better place I can aim, like for the shoulders or heart.

Hi Matt,
Just curious. Why? Double lung shot will kill them every time. And you say they never get too far. So why the need to drop them?
I beg to differ on the Rifle shots always dropping them on the hunting shows. They run many times.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont go by the hunting shows, almost all of them are sh!t anyway
and dont worry about droppin em, if you hit them in the heart/lungs, 95% of the time they dont run more than 75 yards after the shot
Old 05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't aim to drop a deer in its tracks, I aim to make a lethal kill shot, if he drops onthe spot great, though I think thats almost impossible to do with a lung/heart shot, only time is with a spine.....head, or neck, none of which I like with a bow, or even a gun. Means to me at at least I didn't hit where I was aiming, and spine/almost a miss.

I prefer the heart/lung, would take a neck if I had to.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

If some of you boys ever get down South, you'll understand why you might need to drop them where they stand...One of my hotspots is an island back in a swamp, you need hip boots to reach it, it's about 200 yards by 75 and loaded with beech trees, the water around it runs from 3 feet to 6 inches....

You ever tried to track a lung shot deer through a swamp????
Old 05-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree RR, I'm too dang old to track deer through swamps, briers and cutovers anymore...Seems I end up doing so enough when we have guests come down to hunt...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

If some of you boys ever get down South, you'll understand why you might need to drop them where they stand...One of my hotspots is an island back in a swamp, you need hip boots to reach it, it's about 200 yards by 75 and loaded with beech trees, the water around it runs from 3 feet to 6 inches....

You ever tried to track a lung shot deer through a swamp????

yes i have, and i still shoot for the lungs/heart

shot this guy no more than 100 yards from where the second picture is taken, as a matter of fact, i heard him swimming in the water, before i saw him

Old 05-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is no need to drop a deer in its tracks, plus you can shoot a deer perfect and he wont drop but if you hit him in the lungs, you dont even need a blood trail, just look 10-20 yards from where you last saw him and he will be stone cold dead
Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

NC, you ain't the only one to ever track deer through swamps and thickets!
I haven't lost a deer yet that was leaving a half decent blood trails! Double lung or heart lung, they ain't going far!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you can break the shoulders they drop, but you often have to put another one through them.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Hi Matt,
Just curious. Why? Double lung shot will kill them every time. And you say they never get too far. So why the need to drop them?
I beg to differ on the Rifle shots always dropping them on the hunting shows. They run many times.
Well, my only hope was to hear opinions from other hunters about the shots they like to take on deer. I wondered what brings them down on the broadside shots I have seen. I have seen them run after being hit on hunting shows, but the only times I have seen them drop is when they are hit by a rifle on those shows. Apparently the hunters are hitting them in the shoulders and not the lungs.

What I would not like to do is have to walk up and take a second shot on the deer. I would rather my shot kill the animal as quickly as possible, instead of only paralyzing the animal.

Quick Reply: To stop a deer in its tracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.