Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!! >

Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!!

Old 03-10-2003, 02:38 PM

Default RE: Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!!

Two years ago, I was sitting in my stand watching a grouse fool around. It was fun to watch him. I would know exactly where he was, I would look away then look back and he would disappear. He hadnt moved, but that is how they blend in. He meandered off and I forgot about him. A little while later, here comes a doe. She ambles over to where the grouse went and the grouse explodes from just about under her feet. She just about tipped over backwards. She just stood for a minute and stamped her feet. I about fell out of my stand I was laughing so hard. I had always wondered if that happened to creatures of the woods as well as unsuspecting deer hunters. The doe then continued towards where the grouse had landed and was one nervous critter until she got by that area. Oh, what a hoot. I am smiling right now just thinking about that doe.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:20 PM

ok here it goes. I was hunting deer in november in michigan. it was cold as hell and the ground was well frozen. i heard this deer coming through the clear cut i was hunting the edge of.when he got to the end he stopped and just stood their for what seemed like forever he just wouldn' t step out. i was only 20 yards in front of him so i decided to take the shot even though he was standing in the thicket.i through up my 12 gauge browning pump and shot at his vitals.he started to turn and i just kept letting the slugs fly even when the only thing i could see was the flag. i waited a few minutes for my ears to quit ringing and to reload then i got up to see if i could find any sign of a hit. i saw trees hit and figured that was a bad sign, no blood or hair . i walked about 5 feet and saw him laying 15 yards from the seen of the crime.this is where the weird comes in. i couldn' t find blood or a hit on his body anywhere! i dragged him to my stand and decided to gut him their. when i pulled the tail up to cut around the anus i found 2 holes.the one he was born with and another one right above it. when i pulled out the heart i found my slug embedded in the center of it.the slug traveled directly below the spine and never hit a bone. this was the cleanest and quickest kill i' ve ever seen. oh yeah he was a little 5 point. this was back in my if it' s brown it' s down days.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

hunt hard and often that reminded me once I saw this doe crossing from right to left 25 yds out broadside. I stopped her and took the shot. The next thing I see my arrow Fletchings veer 90degrees to the left as the deer turns completely around and runs off to the right. I looked for the arrow nothing. No Blood I followed the trail I thought it took and fifty yards latter I found the Doe with my arrow sticking about 6 inches out of its butt. It evidently jumped the string, turned completely around and got nailed halfway through its gettaway. I couldn' t believe how clean a kill. I have read people taking a shot like that on purpose knowing they can hit the right spot but I wouldn' t reccommend it nor would I take it.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:35 PM

BIGFOOT! Back in the late 80' s. In Huntsville AL. []
Old 04-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 15 years ago at my hunt club, we were all coming in for lunch. A few deer were already hung up when word got back to the club that someone had killed a fairly nice 10 point. About that time the truck turns the corner with the deer standing on the dog box of the truck. You could tell that it was dizzy, aparently the shot just knocked him out and it had come to about 50 yards from the club. It jumped down and ran in front of the truck and stayed on the path long enough for the guy to get another shot off and kill the deer. 
Old 04-09-2003, 08:49 AM

First time out (about 13) with my uncle, still dark, and heard the most terrifying screams. Guessing now it was a coon or rabbit. Second time with him, I was in the stand when a fox came running by. Been hooked on this sport ever since.

Worst thing was this: Sitting in my stand early, I heard something coming from my right. Minute later here comes my buddy walking by, kinda staggering a little and looking pretty messed up. Come to find out he went out that morning and got in his stand, remembered feeling a major headache come on, next thing he knew he was hanging upside down from his stand and it was light out. No idea how long he hung there. Gun fell out too, was stuck in the ground barrel first.
After a trip to the emergency room, Dr said it had somehting to do with his high blood pressure giving him trouble.