Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!! >

Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!!

Old 02-22-2003, 10:32 PM

Default RE: Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!!

This isnt really weird, but i thought it was pretty funny, while i was bowhunting a few years ago, i had a doe come in and a few minutes a grouse came in and started chaising the deer around. The deer kept trying to stomp on the grouse it was one of the funniest things i ever seen while bowhunting.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:59 AM

I once belonged to a hunting camp with a lot of ground that allowed its members to put up permanent treestands. I built a nice platform with heavy arm rails between four big hemlock trees, and got up in it before light on the first day of buck season. Well the wind really picked up, and by around 9:00 A.M. it was blowing real hard. In fact, if a buck would have walked by I couldn' t have shot it because the platform was moving so much. I got down and did a little still hunting for about three hours, and went back to my treestand ' cause the wind had died down a little, but when I got there I saw that a very large poplar tree had been blown over and fell directly on my platform, turning it into firewood! Man am I thankful I decided to take a walk! I don' t hunt high when it' s real windy anymore!
Old 02-23-2003, 02:09 PM

i dont know if this is funny or weird, but i witnessed this in south ar. this past nov. the rut was in the first week of the gun season. i was on my lean-to stand when i heard a noise in the thicket behind me. out run a doe with a 16-18" spread buck behind her. no time for a shot,but was ready when the second noise came from the thicket. out run another doe, she was about 20 yds. behind the first two deer. now i don' t know if the buck was chasing the first doe or running from the second cause she was ugly. hard for me to tell difference between ugly or pretty doe.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:34 PM

this happened to a friend of mine four years ago in south ar. to a friend of mine. opening morning of turkey season he was headed to a gobbling turkey when three stray dogs attacked him (rotweiler,catahoula, and some kind mixed-breed). the catahoula was coming in behind him and the other two from the front. he turned and fired on the catahoula from the hip(we think he shot straight up) at about six steps missing him totally. needles to say turkey left the area. the next morning as he was headed back in to a gobbling turkey he felt a tug on his snake leggings as he was skirting the edge of a big mudhole. he looked down and there was a 3-4 foot long cotton-mouth with a mouth full of legging. after all the screaming and dancing was over with the mudhole was dry and he knew not when or where the snake departed. he got in his truck drove to another area and was lucky enough to get on another gobbler.he was looking through a pine plantation as he was sitting down. the ground felt sorta squishy so he looked down. he had sit down on top of a chicken snake. after his previous experience it might as well been an alligator.these screams also caused the turkey to leave country. now my friend is a die-hard turkey hunter so he was out early the next morning,heard a gobble and got set up on the turkey. after fooling with the turkey 2-3 hours(it was henned up) he decided to leave. as he put his hand on the ground to push himself up, he noticed a copper head had crawled to within three feet of him. needless to say hunting was over with for him and he spent the rest of the day in camp with some liquid fortification. after his three days of incidents no one blamed him.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:17 PM

About 5 years ago, I, my wife, the son and his wife were standing about 30 yards from the spillway of our lake. From below the levee two dogs came barreling out of the bottom, tails between their legs and running for their lives. Suddenly a good size doe came running out of the bottom right on the heels of those dogs. She ran right past us and then stopped about 20 yards from the levee and watched those dogs until they were out of sight. Then she turned and walked right past us at about 15 feet and went back down in the bottom. She never even bothered to look at us. Our only guess was that she had a fawn or two below that levee and those dogs got too close, and there is nothing more dangerous than a mother when her young' uns are threatened.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

it was a week before deer season. this is not weird i just htought it was real cool. i was scouting a harvested sunflower feild and seen about 8 does come out. then after awhile i seen 2 bucks come out. one was a decent 4x4 and the other one was a small 3x3. well i watched them thinking that if i seen that buck during season i would take him. well the next thing i do is look back into the trees to see a big big 5x5 comin out. he was strutin and makin noise like you wouldnt beleive. the 3x3 ran off but then he started fighting with the 4x4 and after about 15 minutes of fighting they went there seperate ways. the 5x5 went after 3 does and heared them into a group but the 4x4 chased some does back into the trees. but i think the big 5x5 won the match. it was realy neatiest thing to see.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

An outfitter friend of mine has a 5x6 with 24" spread on video shredding and eating the bark of a large pine tree from this fall. I found that to be pretty weird. This fall I witnessed 2 cow elk take turns chasing a 140 class whitetail buck in a large meadow, they round around in circle and zig zaged back and forth for a good 5 minutes before disappearing into the bush. I found that to be pretty bazaar.

While spring bear hunting my hunting partner had a very p' d sow at his bait, she growled and sat at the base of his tree for some time. He would spook her only to have her return and do the same thing. Thinking he would have to arrow her to get out alive, she finally left the scene. All the way growling and popping, then he heard the sound of bow cases go flying and a rip. Upon leaving he found the sow had taken her frustration out on the quad and bow cases that were not straped down. She had tossed the empty cases a good 15 feet and tore a nice chunk out of the seat. Moral of the story was look out for a woman scorn and never park your quad to close to the bait.

Old 02-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was deer hunting in Oregon when the Columbus day storm hit with winds over 100 MPH . There was trees going down everywhere .
Old 02-24-2003, 11:58 AM

Had something similar to Smitty except it was two mountain lions in New Mexico after dark screaming. .............also one time underneath my stand I watched a weasel chase and catch a mouse.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Wierd but could have been fatal. Years ago I was sitting in a perm. tree stand quite high in the evening. All of a sudden something slammed into the back of my neck nearly knocking me from the tree stand. A small hawk had mistaken my semi-long hair for an animal of pray. Luckily it didn' t sink its claws in.

Quick Reply: Wierd things you' ve seen while hunting!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.