Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

food plot time

Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default food plot time

I'm getting ready to plant my first food plot, any suggestions?? if it helps I live in southern ohio and rain and sun arent a problem.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: food plot time

you'll get lots of different answers on this lol !

it's not cheap if you want a good one.get a soil test done to determine PH levels. you'll prolly need lime and fertilizer

I RECOMMEND CORN AND IMPERIAL WHITETAIL CLOVER.

deer and turkey will both benefit and corn is like candy to the deer.
leave the corn standing and after all the farmers are done harvesting the deer will stay around yours.if it snows much at all this will be an accessable food source.
if you have plenty of room you can try other stuff.we planted oats,turnips and peas one year with the corn and the deer all but ignore it all but the corn.
winter wheat planted in early fall is good too.gives them something green to eat after the clover slows down.

i'm trying some alfalfa corn sunflowers chickory/clover soybeans and grain sorghum this spring.small areas. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PLOTS !
Old 04-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any suggestions?? Do a soil sample, them lime and fertilize as required. If you skip this step, it won't matter what you plant, because it won't grow as good as it could have.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sugar beets, Sorgum Sedan, Forage Oats, Turnips, Clover...this list can go on forever.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Foraging Oats,Brassicas,Wheat,Turnips.....White Clover Ladino Clover,Red Clover (very beautiful when it blooms),Yellow Clover....Did I mention Clover?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM

here in south georgia, SOY BEANS are the way to go. corn, clover, ect is everywhere and all the usual human food crops too. soybeans are not so common and the deer love them. they are mainlyjust anearly hunting season plot though
Old 05-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

this may be a dumb question, but is it possible to over fertilize???
Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

this may be a dumb question, but is it possible to over fertilize???
Yes it is. Besides that you have to be using the right fertilizer for what you are planting. Some plants need more of one thing over the other. May I suggest speaking with Daniel, the lead biologist, at Wildlife Management Solutions (www.productsforwildlifemanagement.com), he will help you through the whole thing. You want to stay away from types of crops that are grown in your area. If you want to keep track of some food plots he's helping me with in Illinois, check out photos and step by step instructions from beginning to end at myarcheryhunt.com and click on the food plot progress link.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

I farm, so i usually have some fertilizer or a little lime left over, so i'll use that in my food plots after seeing how much i need from a soil sample. as the others said, a soil sample is a must if you want good germination and a good stand. i usually plant corn and peanuts, but as gpower1 said, soybeans are also a good bet. the only problem i've had with soybeans is that deer tend to tear them up as soon as they begin to grow. one way i solve this is cheap and simple. as soon as you plant, get some 2x4s and nail together a large T shape, and hang brightly colored sheets or some similar material on it, and drive them into the ground. these makeshift scarecrows will keep most deer out of the fields long enough to let the crop grow and make a decent stand. be sure to pull out the scarecrows long before hunting season begins so you don't mess up the deers feeding habits for the whole season. hope this helps!