Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ANTI-GUN BILLS-SCARRY!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ANTI-GUN BILLS-SCARRY!!!

I personally do not wantBillyJohn crack wheeling a .50 cal or an assault rifle when I get a call to go to his trailor park to bust his meth lab.
Billy probably does not own his firearm legally anyways, being a member of law enforcement you should know that criminals will always have guns. I see no need to take away the rights of law biding gun owners. And when they take all of my guns away, what do I protect myself and my family with when Billy breaks into my house? You put yourself in a position to protect and serve, I do appreciate what you do, but bringing these type of laws in will only make things worse for you (more crimes committed), me (protection,hunting,etc.), and the dumb ass politiciansall stand around scratching their heads going, "why is our crime rate so high?" Once they start to ban certain guns, do really think that they will stop there? We will be restricted to a single shot 410; with 3 locks on it, in a safe, buried in the backyard!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Spike

Anti-gun laws ony effect law abiding citizens...Johnny crack dealer could not care less what gun laws are on the books...makes his life easier because he does not need to worry about law abiding citizens being armed.

Funny the two major cities with handgun bans have the highest firearm murder rates...Wash DC and Chicago.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

Bob

Edit- The two previous posters,kmunny19 & shamlin, sound like gun ban liberals wearing camouflage.

Where in my post did I say I wanted gun bans? Should I make the generalization that...

Edit- Robert L E thinks he's Dirty Harry and will shoot you in the face if you cut him off in traffic.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kmunny19

Bob

Edit- The two previous posters,kmunny19 & shamlin, sound like gun ban liberals wearing camouflage.

Where in my post did I say I wanted gun bans? Should I make the generalization that...

Edit- Robert L E thinks he's Dirty Harry and will shoot you in the face if you cut him off in traffic.
A ban on anything over 50cal. I would call that a ban on some guns. There also would be a affective ban by creating rules and requirements for guns that would price them out of reach for those of moderate means.

Since criminals will defeat any or all of these requirements what will these requirement do besides being a burden on, or creating a criminal out of, otherwise law abiding people?

If I was off of the mark on you, I wasin grenade rangeanyway.

I think you may have pegged me wrong too. I did specifically said that I live in an area where I feel no need for a firearm for personal protection (I have never and probably will never keep a gun for personal protective reasons.), that being said,things can change and if you do not believe that the real goal of all of these proposals is a total gun ban, I think you are delusional.

A 12 gauge is above 50cal, by the way.

Bob

Edit- Shamlin, Thankyou for serving in the Marines and for currently serving with law enforcement. Your service helped to keep us free and continues to help keep us safe. I will be at Camp Pendleton this coming Tuesday to meet a bus carrying my son home from a tour in Iraq. Of the group he served with he had this to say, "Not a drop, nary a scratch."

One of the biggest problems I have with gun laws is that criminals do not obey them. The biggest affect that these laws have is to disarm honest citezens. Where highly restrictive gun laws are enacted, violent crime tends to rise dramatically.

Some years ago, 35 or so, Psychology Today had an article about guns, crime, gun laws, and criminals. The main conclusion of the article was this question and answer- "Are you safer or in more danger if you neighbor has a legally owned gun?" The answer was that you are clearly safer if your neighbor has a legally owned weapon.
They came to this conclusion by going to prisons and asking questions of convicts and how these men chose victims. The criminals do not know who is armed and who is not. This is also probably the reason for recent year's massive increases in violent crime in Austrailia, Canada, and Great Britain. The criminals there know that law abiding citizens have been disarmed by more restrictive gun laws. Great Britain also has court rulings that make it seem like self defence is illegal too.

I agree that law enforcement should be left to the professionals but it is not really the job of the police to prevent crime as much as it is to solve crimes that have been committed.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

My point is not about the sale of military or bigger style arms, it is about the production of them. Many of the most advanced products humans make are designed for the purpose of killing other humans. Pathetic.

I am not saying that if assault and huge caliber weapons aren't legal, that criminals won't get them. I'm saying that if they aren't made available to anyone other than military defense, and are highly scrutinized and inventoried, then criminals won't have them in the future as the ones they have now are slowly taken from them and otherwise rendered unusable. Yes its a long slow process to weed out these weapons, but the alternative is to make more of them to defend ourselves with, which criminals will get, so then we have to make more to defend ourselves with, which criminals will get and so on. Yeah, it sucks, but I feel it needs to start somewhere.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would the 50 cal law effect the ownership of muzzleloaders?

Has there been a rash of crimes committed lately with 50 cal weapons that i have not read about?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kmunny19

My point is not about the sale of military or bigger style arms, it is about the production of them. Many of the most advanced products humans make are designed for the purpose of killing other humans. Pathetic.

I am not saying that if assault and huge caliber weapons aren't legal, that criminals won't get them. I'm saying that if they aren't made available to anyone other than military defense, and are highly scrutinized and inventoried, then criminals won't have them in the future as the ones they have now are slowly taken from them and otherwise rendered unusable. Yes its a long slow process to weed out these weapons, but the alternative is to make more of them to defend ourselves with, which criminals will get, so then we have to make more to defend ourselves with, which criminals will get and so on. Yeah, it sucks, but I feel it needs to start somewhere.
DannyD said it well, Is there a rash of crimes being committed with military style guns? The answer is, of course, no.

Most military type weapons are already illegal, full auto, canons, mortars, rockets, and bombs. What remain legal are semi-auto. They look mean though so I suppose they should be banned. How many 50BMG rifles have been used in crime anyway? To my knowlege, none. There are thousands of legally owned full auto guns in this country, to my knowlege only one has been used in a homocide since 1934 when the law was passed banning them.

Patric Purdy killed 5 small children in California with an "assault" rifle. 29 people were wounded in the same attack. An entire class of guns was banned because of this crime. Did these laws make Californians any safer?? I believe not. Had Purdy been using a pump shotgun I think the carnage would have been much worse. All guns are designed to kill; how are civilian guns different except in looks?
The people (some of them) of California feel better though and that is what is important to them. It is a liberal mantra, "If it feels good, do it." It feels good to let criminals have second and third and fourth ............ and twentieth and etc, chance to be moral and law abiding. How well does that liberal idea work? Patric Purdy had an extensive criminal record of being arrested for felonies which were plead to misdemeanors. How well did that work for the people of California?
A coworker of mine was right when he said that criminals should be stopped long before they have "a long criminal record". Keeping violent ctiminals in jail works but it does not FEEL good to bleeding heart liberals. Banning guns feels good to these people even though crime and violence tends to rise when such laws are passed. That does not matter to them because "if it feels good, do it".

A weapon of choice for coyote hunters here in Iowa is the AR15. It has range, accuracy, and low recoil. It looks ugly to a liberal though so it had better be banned, even though it is used is a minscule number of crimes. It feels good to ban it.

I feel that it is pathetic to ban guns without regard to the effect on honest citizens and the effect on crime. Passing laws that punish the good citizen and cause crime to rise does not feel good to me. Don't fall into the liberal feel good trap.

Bob

Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

A weapon of choice for coyote hunters here in Iowa is the AR15. It has range, accuracy, and low recoil.
Would you mind if they were only availablewithbolt actions and four round, non-magazine capacity?

I'm not trying to get anyone riled up and I absolutely agree that we have the right to own guns and if we abuse that right, we shouldn't be allowed to do it again any time soon, regardless of what pushed us to it. And I know that semi auto (and converted fully auto) pistolsare more likely to be crime guns.

I'm saying that one of the biggest arguments against any type of gun law is that good honest hunters will be affected or people defending their homes, when in reality hunters and homeowners rarely (and shouldn't) need to fire more than a few shots at a time. Why makes weapons (available to the public; it shouldn't be hard for the military to inventory and hold onto more agressive weapons without them falling into the public's lap) that go above and beyond what hunters and homeowners need, and do what only criminals would need.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way this one is worded could definitely effect anyone owning a .50 caliber or .54 caliber muzzleloader.

Assembly Bill 2772, authored by State Assemblywoman Patricia Eddington (D-3), would ban the sale, use or possession of any firearm with a bore diameter .50 caliber or larger. This bill would require gun owners in possession of these firearms to surrender them to law enforcement. AB2772 would ban any shotgun larger than a .410. AB2772 passed by a vote of 85 to 49.

That's no good, surrender my what? Oh yeah, Joe Crackhead stole those earlier today. Can you fill out a police report for me for insurance purposes?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:43 AM

(IMO) Kmunny needs to get with the program. The anti's are after our guns. They will stop at NOTHING. Trying for a little at a time, or all at once makes no difference, they still get them either way. Your either with us, or against us, your either part of the solution, or part of the problem. And now there after our ammo! If they can't get the guns, go afterthe ammo, you can't shoot without it! Read the newest assault inMay's American Rifleman magazine by Chris Cox. And be sure to ... VOTE for PRO GUN canadates,Join the NRA, fight, fight, fight, don't give them an inch. Good Hunting ... SHOTARYE