Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What Do You do in the Off Season? >

What Do You do in the Off Season?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Do You do in the Off Season?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default What Do You do in the Off Season?

Guys,

Well, here it is almost May and deer season is a long way off. This is always the most difficult time of year for me and time just crawls by. It seems like it will be an eternity before the next time I can settle in my stand with a pinch of tobacco and listen to the fall leaves touch the ground.

My favorite thing in life is probably the change of seasons. For everything there is a season. And fall/winter would not be near as fun and exciting without the anticipation of it all. If it were nice, cool weather all year long with no end to deer season, then we would not love it like we do, or at least I know I wouldn't. For me, half the fun is the anticipation. The thought of gathering with old hunting buddies, sitting in the same stand I sat in when I was just a boy, and reliving hunts of yesteryear, hoping to make more of those great memories.

However, I am not a blood thirsty hunter. The older I get, the more I hunt for the experience of it all. For the solitude. I just enjoy sitting in the woods, watching all that God created. So for me, half the fun is that anticipation, the long, long summer wait. The planning and high hopes for the upcoming season.

What do ya'll do this time of year to pass the time in the woods? I love to bass fish, though it is not nearly as satisfying as hunting the elusive, Southern whitetail. I still enjoy walkaing in the woods, but soon it will be so blooming hot that a man my age will be unable to take the heat in the mid day woods. I will be planting my spring/summer food plots over the next few weeks, so I enjoy watching the grow and progress.

I hope all of you are well and that your families are fat and sassy.

TDWW

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM

Default RE: What Do You do in the Off Season?

We spend alot of time on the lake and camping. Also try to fit in a vacation to the beach because once Sept. comes there won't be much time to take off a week, for the beach HAHA. Also spend alot of time looking for new stand locations, and new property to hunt (VERY HARD to come by in NC). Like you it is hard to pass the time, seems like it crawls.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll do quite a bit of turkey hunting this spring starting next week and hunt 3 states hard.After that, I'll spend a lot of time with the family and work. We go out fishing quite a bit. My oldest daughter will be 4 in June and I have been taking her trout fishing off of the docks alot lately. We are going to take her out trolling next weekend.
That's it until September... then we'll start chasing around those black bears to pass the time until Oct bow season starts!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live around 10 miles from the gulf so I like to spearfish during the summer months. It is almost like a offseason replacement for deerhunting.i fresh and saltwater fish some, but lately i go fishing less and less each year.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 PM

a little bit of this...

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM

and a little bit of that...

Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

The off season is always tough, come May I turkey hunt real hard. Once that is over I usually try to fit in as much golf as possible. Throughout the year i try to shoot my bow, lately with all this beautiful weather we have been having in the northeast i've been shooting my bow A LOT.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Dream and try to get into the woods,but the ticks and snakes always run me back out.I love to be in the woods,but i can't seem to stay in the woods in the spring and summer time(Snakes and Ticks)..
Old 04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot prairie dogs in the spring, fish/camp/boat in the summer, shoot prairie dogs in the fall till antelope season, hunt elk in the fall, deer and coyotesin the late fall and winter.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take teenagers all over the south east on youth trips. Tune my rifles and dream of the next fall.

Quick Reply: What Do You do in the Off Season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.