Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 At what point does it become UNETHICAL? >

At what point does it become UNETHICAL?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

At what point does it become UNETHICAL?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: At what point does it become UNETHICAL?

Can you find the animal, would be the main factor. 600 yards across the parrie is one thing, an animal coming out from a dense pine forest on the otherside of a lake is completely different.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Spike

Not everybody has the skill to shot a deer at 800 yards, hell even 200, but its really not that hard to "sneak" up on a deer a half a mile away.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I think long range shooting is too risky is the wind factor. One can't be sure of how wind will effect the bullet somewhere along it's 800, 900 or more yard path to the deer. One can only make guesstimates, which in many cases won't be very accurate. Even slight breezes at that range can move the bullet enough to get you a gut shot deer. I really wonder how effective this type of shooting can be. Yeah, they will show the videos of themselves dropping an animal a long ways off, but how many did they miss or wound before they got that one spectacular shot?? That they surely won't tell you!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

unethical is one inch farther than you know you will hit where you want to, from past practice and experience, and knowledge of current conditions.

I don't know that humans can make an unfair advantage. A leopard uses all its skills and equipment the best it can, every time. A human should too. We don't have sharp teeth, fast, silent running, a sense of smell at all, jumping ability, or any of the other things a leopard (or wolf, shark, etc) uses, so we use our ability to make products to help us and communicate teachings about how to use them.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twofinger

Not everybody has the skill to shot a deer at 800 yards, hell even 200, but its really not that hard to "sneak" up on a deer a half a mile away.
depends on where you hunt...on the farm here during Oct. the wheat is cut to less than 8 inch stubble for miles and miles
Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

steve, I've taken a couple dozen deer from 400 yards to over 800, once you get beyond 400 yards, they very seldom run even with a not to good hit, they take a few steps and lay down, these couple instances have been the only time I take a second shot, If I miss clean, I've just taken my best shot with my best efforts so I let them walk, missed twice last year at 785, and 985 yards. the 785 I have no idea but I missed big, the 985 miss was my error, dialed in 20" not enough elevation. RR
I find it hard to believe that a poorly hit deer beyond 400 yards will run less than one hit at closer ranges. A poorly hit deer may not run too far even with a close range shot, but then again it might. I think the same holds for shots from any range. In reality and with everything else being equal, wouldn't a deer potentially be able to run further when hit with a 7mm Mag at 800 yards than it would hit at 80 yards since the bullet has lost a good deal of velocity and energy already at that distance??? Won't the blow it takes at 80 yards be considerably more potent than it will be at 800? Your statement really doesn't hold much water. You also do not address the wind factor in shooting at such long range. I don't think anyone can guess with any consistant certainty what the wind will do to the bullet at such distances no matter how good and accurate your equipment is.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as deer running off at big distances. I've been startled a time or two by a shot close by. Ones way out I never even move. I think similar holds true to deer. I've seen deer spook at the shot and take off running at close range. I've also seen deer shot with a quiet bow and the deer hardly moves until it falls over.

I think the sound makes a big difference in a deer running off. In most cases anyway. Just an opinion like everyone elses. I have no knowlege first hand of long range shots but it seems to make some sence.

I wish I could afford a rifle that shot that well at those distances. And I wish I had the place to practice. And maybe even hunt. But I think my farthest shot ever was about 80 yards. Not that I haven't past up farther shots. I just like getting close. If you can without wounding or losing animals ...go for it.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Each person must draw their own line.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO where it becomes unethnical is the place where you step over your personal and equipment abilities. Its not a one size fits all situation, we have different equipment, experience/skill levels, terrains, etc. How many would shoot at a deer at 45yards with their compounds? Here many practice to such ranges based on the terrain and are quite proficent at ranges many would seem unethical for them. That doesn't make it unethical for all though. It's a personal thing based on being honest with their abilities.

In regards to reaction to the sound, my experience is similar to RR's. The longer the shot the less the reaction to it. I don't shoot nearly as long as he does, my longest was an antelope at 537 yards. He roamed in a semi circle then laid down, the hit was back a bit gettingthe rear portion of one lung and liver. Last year shot a muliedoe at 437 yards, double lung and she just stood there for a few seconds before crumpling. My partners boy shot his the same day inside a 100 yards, also a double lung and she did the death dash. Both cases relaxed deer and didn't know anything was their until the shot.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

exactly, the report of the rifle is what startles them, steve, how many deer you shot beyond 400 yards? and your best guess is way better than experience? I told you what occurs on LR shots, and you find it hard to believe with zero experience? well I find it hard to believe that your even competant to carry a gun. and your response is? RR
Now did I ever claim that you weren't competent with a gun? So why the accusation of me? I have killed several deer around the 300 yard mark, and that is as far as I care to shoot at a deer. If I ever decide to rainbow bullets at something out to 800 plus yards it will be at paper targets and not live animals. I surely can't stop you or anyone else from hunting this way, but I am entitled to question people about it. Again you failed to address the wind factor in such long range shooting. You can call me incompetent all you want, but until you address the issue of how you guesstimate the effect of wind on such long shots I won't be taking your word on anything.