Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 TV "Unethical" shots >

TV "Unethical" shots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TV "Unethical" shots

Old 11-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default TV "Unethical" shots

As a first yr bowhunter....I watch a LOT of TV hunts. I watched NO LESS THAN 3 shots, yesterday......on TV shows...that "I" would deem "Unethical". They were all "quartering to" shots.

I just don't get it. Wouldn't simple anatomy explain why we SHOULDN'T take this shot? I just don't understand why they show these shots as "examples". I feel like it's sending the wrong message to my 13 yr old....and to bowhunters in general.

Far be it from me to preach.....but we owe these animals a quick and humane kill. My biggest fear is a bad shot on an animal (bowhunting fear). I have marked on my bow...."God- Make my aim true".

Am I the only one that this bothers???

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 09:27 AM

Default RE: TV "Unethical" shots

Ok to answer your question..... in my mind a quartering towards you shot is a lot better than a straight on shot!! The people you watch on tv can put a dozen arrows in the center of a target at 35 yards without blinking... so I believe they know a little better on how to shoot than most of us. Also these people get payed to hunt and record their hunts and that means their ph's (professional hunters) which means they have a lot better idea on how to place a shot to hit the vitals. A deer quartering towards you isn't the best shot but you still have a good target on the heart or even on 1 of the lungs.....which for some people is acceptable. The last thing I have to say is...... I know some of the people on this forum are religious but some of us aren't so do the few of us a favor and keep the gospel to yourself please.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:49 AM

I dont find it to be bad at all. If you can hit bottle caps with a bow at 40 yards all the time then take the shot. You can hit A LOT of things with that shot anyway. Plus if they didn't shoot there would be no TV...
Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 AM

Personally, I would not take a quatering in shot. I let go of my string it is only because I am certain that I am making a lethal shot. The deer will more than likely give you a better shot. If not, thats how it goes. Better to not shoot a deer then to mame one and not find it.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm one of the LAST people to preach to anyone. Everyone's beliefs (or non) is their business....and I don't want to go there. That was NOT my intention, AT ALL.

Now...the people I'm speaking of were NOT professional hunters that were being filmed. They were being filmed, yes, but professionals......no. 1 lady was on her first archery hunt.....and she was using a compound bow for the first time (draw-loc??). I wouldn't DARE speak condescendingly of anything Michael Waddell/Primos guys/etc/etc did in the field. I think they know this deal better than I, and I trust their judgement.

Just last week....on Dream Season....I watched a guy take a VERY MUCH quartering-to shot at a big buck. As soon as he took it....I said it was unethical. That's what the Drury brothers told him in NO uncertain terms. THAT...was a good lesson to everyone.

I am NO preacher....let me reiterate.....lol. You OBVIOUSLY don't know me....lol.

Have a good one, guys...I DID NOT mean to start anything with the original post.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 10:17 AM

I didn't say that you did start anything.... I'm sorry if it seemed that way.... I'm just tired of every time I watch hunting shows or talk to my hunting buddies that they always thank "god" it just bugs me a bit that the people don't give us people with other beliefs the respect we deserve..... Well enough of that. I've watched many people take quartering-to shots. I even took a 12 year old doe 2 years ago with a quartering towards shot, it not only hit directly in the heart but hit the back of a lung and hit some arteries on the way out... sooo theres a lot of things to hit quartering-to and I've seen many professional hunters take these shots on their shows.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

SbGobblers,
I just wanted to say that I have the same type phrase on my bow, you don't need to apoligize for your faith! People that hate God and His people need to remember that they have the right to "Not believe" because people of Faith made this great nation, and GAVE IT TO THEM!

To me hunting in God's creation is an amazing blessing directly from our Heavenly Father. And as it has been established, a quartering-to shot is an issue of expirence, I'm not ready to do it, but some are.

Just saying what you think is never a BAD thing! Non- believer's shouldn't push their beliefs either!

In other words, BACK OFF, McGee!
This is not the place for the ridicule you brought, go to the "Religious Forum" for that smack.

Trae
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Goose 11

SbGobblers,
I just wanted to say that I have the same type phrase on my bow, you don't need to apoligize for your faith! People that hate God and His people need to remember that they have the right to "Not believe" because people of Faith made this great nation, and GAVE IT TO THEM!

To me hunting in God's creation is an amazing blessing directly from our Heavenly Father. And as it has been established, a quartering-to shot is an issue of expirence, I'm not ready to do it, but some are.

Just saying what you think is never a BAD thing! Non- believer's shouldn't push their beliefs either!

In other words, BACK OFF, McGee!
This is not the place for the ridicule you brought, go to the "Religious Forum" for that smack.

Trae
Wow it seems someone didn't read my post!! Seriously dude before you start talking to someone shut your mouth and read the whole thing!! I have friends that are religious I don't ridicule them for their beliefs so shutup and go away!!! I respect anyone who believes in god and I respect their right to that belief but I don't respect when people try to push it off on me! I was raised christian and I made my own decision to not believe when I was 12 so if you got a problem with that then you need to go flame elsewhere! I do not push my beliefs at all! And if you really wanna get into it I can pull up the statistics and percentages of people who believe to people who don't believe and we outnumber you by along shot! I'm just trying to say hey.... theres other people out here who want to be able to read this forum without having to see that stuff... thats why they made the religious sections!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

McGee....Thanks...but I meant what I said. I think religion is HIGHLY "Personal". I didn't mean to interject any of my beliefs...and I hope no offense was taken. It's just that this is a bowhunting forum....and I am NEVER more at-one with "My" God...as when Iam in the field. Hence I ask his help to take game in a humane manner. The phrase on my bow is there to remind me to ALWAYS remember that.

That part being out of the equation......I still think some producers are doing bowhunters a disservice by filming and portraying those shots...by THOSE hunters....as ethical. I expected more.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I respect anyone who believes in god and I respect their right to that belief but I don't respect when people try to push it off on me!
That's great! SBGobblers wasn't pushing anything. He just stated what's on his bow, you jumped, not him, not even me, I just stated the obvious.

I apologize for the offense to you, Mr. McGee,and askfor us all to just be who we are, andnot attack a person's faith or lack thereof. If either of were "pushing" our faith, there would have been alot more said, don't you agree?
Thanks,
Trae

Quick Reply: TV "Unethical" shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.